Good Editing Programs & Cameras

Hey guys,

Was just thinking of how to actually get started with some sort of Youtube channel (I know, it's stupid and everyone tries it and fails).

Been checking out some DSLR Cameras and some editing programs.  What would be a good starter editing program that isn't Windows Movie Maker because I've used that many times before and it's shit..?  Also what would you recommend for a starter DSLR camera that is relatively cheap?

Or am I going about this all wrong?  :P

Some insight would be much appreciated!

Thanks! :D

// Floatplane Pilot //

Main Rig:  Motherboard: ASUS H270 - PLUS - CSM | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) | Case: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC - 02 | SSD: ADATA SU800 128GB HDD: WD 1TB Hard Drive | PSU: Corsair CX 550M | CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mechanical | Mouse: Razer Naga 2014 | Sound: Corsair VOID RGB / USB Headset | OS: Windows 10

Laptop:   Razer Blade Stealth 2016

For editing there, cough are well, ways, of getting the adobe suite that we shall not discuss. but seriously, go and get yourself the free trail of premiere and see what you think, and the subscription to CC is pretty cheap anyways.

For editing there, cough are well, ways, of getting the adobe suite that we shall not discuss. but seriously, go and get yourself the free trail of premiere and see what you think, and the subscription to CC is pretty cheap anyways.

Well, I mean if only I knew how to torrent c;; (wink wink) ....Even still. Would you recommend premiere over Vegas?

// Floatplane Pilot //

Main Rig:  Motherboard: ASUS H270 - PLUS - CSM | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) | Case: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC - 02 | SSD: ADATA SU800 128GB HDD: WD 1TB Hard Drive | PSU: Corsair CX 550M | CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mechanical | Mouse: Razer Naga 2014 | Sound: Corsair VOID RGB / USB Headset | OS: Windows 10

Starter DSLR? Nikon D3300. If you plan on taking videos however, Canon has a slight edge I've heard. I've tried many trial video editors including Premier.

I bought myself Cyberlink's Powerdirector 14 today infact, after trying it. So far it works great. 

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

Well, I mean if only I knew how to torrent c;; (wink wink) ....Even still. Would you recommend premiere over Vegas?

Yes, I love using premiere and while vegas is good, i feel the UI is outdated compared to the adobe products

Yes, I love using premiere and while vegas is good, i feel the UI is outdated compared to the adobe products

Good to know, thanks!

For audio, what would you recommend?  Razer Seiren? That works for streaming too.

// Floatplane Pilot //

Good to know, thanks!

For audio, what would you recommend?  Razer Seiren? That works for streaming too.

Maybe somthing like the blue yeti, you can't go wrong with that.

snip

Free video editing programs you can try are

• Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve 12 Free which is very nearly as capable as the paid version, and is not some sort of trial or Lite version.
  • HitFilm Express 3
  • LightWorks

Of the three I recommend DaVinci Resolve 12.  It's a fantastic program.

As for camera, you can buy an entry level Sony, Nikon, Canon, Panasonic DSLR/Mirrorless or even start with a nice camcorder.  There's not much else we can recommend because, well let's face it, you're a beginner.  There are two links in my signature, read them.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer