BSOD only on my friends PC

So I set up my friends pc was working great for a solid two weeks, one morning he was moving his pc to clean his desk and realized that the Sata cable connecting to his hardrive was loose. He didn't turn of his pc, bieng new to computer building and plugged it back in. Windows promptly crashed, on reboot windows just wouldn't stop crashing so we decided to reinstall windows. THE INSTILLATION WAS STOPPED BY A BLUE SCREEN!!!. We tried using a different ISO to install it and even used a spare disc drive to try it using cd rom. So I took his SSD home with me to reinstall it and somehow it worked! So I raced backed to his house and it freaking blue screened on startup... So I tried troubleshooting through windows, didn't do anything tried to reinstall again, didn't work. Tried resetting the BIOS to default... didn't work. Im stumped someone please im pretty stumped.   

His Build:

GTX 980 ti EVGA 

Asus ROG MAXIMUS hero 8

ballistix sport 2400mhz ddr4 2x8

samsung 850 evo

western digital 1tb caviar black

i7 6700k

acer 144hz monitor (Just in case the higher refresh rates may have caused it idk)

850wat evga gold supernova 

Hot-swap enabled? 

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

try a differnt sata port on the motherboard, or do non of the drives work on the mb?

Edit: I think he might have broke the sata controller, but I don't know. It has to do with the mother board I would assume.

Im not sure but the PC was off when I re-plugged in the ssd so I dont know how Hot-Swap would cause the bluescreens

try a differnt sata port on the motherboard, or do non of the drives work on the mb?

Yep tried all that

Edit: I think he might have broke the sata controller, but I don't know. It has to do with the mother board I would assume.

Can sate controllers really break from a unexpected unplug though? Remember it was working great for a really long time before the BSOD.

The sata cable was still plugged in to the mother board the hard drive was just disconnected.

Can sate controllers really break from a unexpected unplug though? Remember it was working great for a really long time before the BSOD.

The sata cable was still plugged in to the mother board the hard drive was just disconnected.

try flashing the latest BIOS

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

Yep tried all that

I edited my post to what I think is the problem, so did you try every port. Try to see if the bios is setting it to a ssd or hdd, or if its on ahci or what ever.

well it is a chip so it can break, but the computer was off so I don't know for sure

Im not sure but the PC was off when I re-plugged in the ssd so I dont know how Hot-Swap would cause the bluescreens

if it was off..

try flashing the latest BIOS

How would you update the bios without being in the OS though, sorry I have never had to do that before.

I edited my post to what I think is the problem, so did you try every port. Try to see if the bios is setting it to a ssd or hdd, or if its on ahci or what ever.

well it is a chip so it can break, but the computer was off so I don't know for sure

if it was off..

Isnt hotswap the ability to be able to switch hardrives while the pc is running?

How would you update the bios without being in the OS though, sorry I have never had to do that before.

There's multiple ways to do it. but there should be a version to download from ASUS's website that you can put on a flashdrive and then flash without an OS. Corrupted BIOS is a long shot but, it's really all you can do besides RMA'ing the mobo. YOu've done everything else already. If the drive works in your PC it has to be the mobo then.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

Isnt hotswap the ability to be able to switch hardrives while the pc is running?

yes that is what hot swap is, but that only would matter if the pc was running, but you said that it was not when he plugged the drive in. Also check in the bios to see if the drive is set to  the correct setting, because I think that is the last shot before RMAing the board.

I tried flashing and it blue screened with the error Page Fault in Non Paged Area