Bad ending of the year, my Skylake Z170 FRIED! overvoltage! :'( ;-; (RIP Asus Maximus VIII Gene)

Redicat
Go to solution Solved by Redicat,

There i'm fine checked their Warranty policy i should be able to RMA all things from now on i'll send Asus to a RMA of Cooler Master and they'll repair all demage :)

Warranty: http://www.coolermaster.com/service/warranty.htmle15674e81205c577efb0c2bb7b3c9928.png

Yes it broke but look RREAKIN warranty greater than 5 years by a couple of months!!

I didnt tell you but this BUILD has RE-BUILDED from the GROUND, NO OVERVOLTAGE being done through the BIOS i did not program to do like this, also wouldnt be burning the FAN pins...

Ok guys my Skylake system did not post or boot at all but there where alot of lights on the FANS and stuff and my GPU was getting a lit indicator too aswell as the motherboard power on button. However my RESET CMOS did not work and power button did not work too even Power SW front panel swith did NOT and when i tested my Cooler Master G450M PSU the fans did turn on with peperclip correctly - & + with paperclip so GREEN & BLACK WIRE and spin and operate normally it was pefect.

How i tested it:

1. TURN OFF PSU on O or 0 state

2. Get plug out of the wall (you never know...)

3. Unplug Motherboard power 24 pin connector 

4. Unplug CPU 6 pin connector 

5. Unplug SATA devices MOLEX defices ICT...

6. Put paperclip into GREEN & BLACK wire being PLUS+ Negative-

7. Put in test device LED or FANS into the PSU Molex connector 

8. Put in power plug and set it on the I on state

9. You can now know if your PSU has failed or not...

Soo it did atually work correctly as i know the fans did turn on and operate normally on 100% fan speed using Molex also has RED LED soo than i tought myself huh maybe i tied my back rout cables a little bit too tight i cut off the zip ties and stuff the cables had full breatheing room and than i did check everything if it was connected properly it was front panel too and FANS everything was connected and routed correctly soo I INSERTED my RAM PSU connectors to Motherboard aswell as the CPU & GPU connectors i reseated everything was READY to rock so i plugged in the PSU & did it on the ON state but this shit happend...

EDIT: ONCE again guys i did RESET CMOS when i had the Motherboard before i DID no OVERCLOCKING or OVERVOLTAGE and the Motherboard wouldnt even allow me to put over 1.4V's i JUST DID NOT DO THAT... CPU IS FINE RESET the whole motherboard and updated the bios eufi to default...

TURN ON MUSIC BEFORE SHOWING THE SPOILER, PLS

Sorry i didnt had any better SAD music reply with better or proper music (Monstercat music too happy :D)

Dang...

Overvoltage demage!

57NQm85.jpg

Notthing at the CPU or SOCKET.

j5z32QI.jpg

PCI-E or any addon cards have been removed, you can see burn yellow marks arround the PCI-E soldering connection and arround it...

2MhNXRX.jpg

ntLmYVo.jpg

GPU CHIP did not get demaged either and the PCB is completely fine aswell

UEsHLDS.jpg

BAD WALL POWER??? we use to have extra plugs arround in the wall...

iDw4VSk.jpg

Sooo? Warranty? or did it VOID?

Help me what was going wrong? i think Motherboard because it had problems in the past getting it on it had some Power issues and my second GPU did not work...

FULL SPECS:

CPU: Skylake Intel Core I7 6700K at STOCK

Mobo: ITS DEAD BUDD

RAM: Hyper X all the way black ram i liek it

PSU (I trust its not CM) G450M Cooler Master 5yrs warranty trusted brand... (Might have accidently spilled some small bit of alcohol over *IM NOT SURE* it broke after testing one more time...

GPU (Probably saw on GPU chip) Asus GTX 760

Storage devices: SATA3 6GB/s Samsung 840 Evo 120GB SSD SATA3 6GB/s 1TB WD blue 7200RPM cache 64MB(only had rev 3 6GB/s :D)

CPU cooling: Some rebrand remake copper pipes Cooler Master Hyper 212 with dual fans mounted white and one with RED led...

Did i forget any specs??

Z170 boards are rushed. Tons of revision are needed to fix bug n glitches.

So only your motherboard is dead? I call that lucky, not unlucky ;p

Well yeah my CPU & GPU idk if its fine my GPU stinks to fried PCB kinda aswell IDK or the smell is in my nouse but i havent tested it...

I see no RAM demage no CPU demage no GPU demage no PSU demage none of the other componements died i think soo.....

If it has physical damage caused by overclocking then I'd say no chance of an RMA. That still wouldn't stop me from trying though.

Just plead total ignorance, tell them your psu died and when you changed it out the system wouldn't boot.

The worst thing that can happen is your down the return shipping cost but they might just replace it if your lucky.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

If it has physical damage caused by overclocking then I'd say no chance of an RMA. That still wouldn't stop me from trying though.

Just plead total ignorance, tell them your psu died and when you changed it out the system wouldn't boot.

The worst thing that can happen is your down the return shipping cost but they might just replace it if your lucky.

Aight man thank you for the support... i'll try to contact Asus but i think that is impossible i'll contact my Computer store i bought it at its called Azerty but their RMA service is pritty shit too :/

I didnt register my Asus VIII Maximus Gene :(

But i see a RMA request in the BOX togheter with serial ID's barcodes and such...

Edited by Godlygamer23

Aight man thank you for the support... i'll try to contact Asus but i think that is impossible i'll contact my Computer store i bought it at its called Azerty but their RMA service is pritty shit too :/

I didnt register my Asus VIII Maximus Gene :(

But i see a RMA request in the BOX togheter with serial ID's barcodes and such...

You're a dickhead... my CPU was running stock speed i did a BIOS reset with the previous build i builded it with...

GM are completely fine moron i have a 4.6Ghz 3930K with it... 12V rail is pritty strong. 5yrs.

And I'd bet you anything your PSU is dead too, I'll be very surprised if it works.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

And I'd bet you anything your PSU is dead too, I'll be very surprised if it works.

It still works i tested it again with a couple of fans even a Hard Drive! 

Thanks for the support anyway man i'll try ta contact Asus but i didnt register my Asus VIII Mobo in time but i have a request in my Motherboard box... and idk about Cooler Master but my PSU seems to be running FINE i'll open it and check inside of whats in that thing but i don't think there is anything wrong... 

*Also typical the 24 pin and 6 pin have NO DEMAGE, notthing.

So only your motherboard is dead? I call that lucky, not unlucky ;p

STILL 200 Euro's through...

Z170 boards are rushed. Tons of revision are needed to fix bug n glitches.

Yeah it was Z170 1.02Rev board frrom Asus it did had some pritty big issues...

that sucks dude

RIG #14670k @4.4 / 1.25v vcore. @ 4.5 / 1.3v vcore/ 1.95v vccin. MSI GAMING 4G GTX 970 @1540/3700 1.275v BIOS MOD. 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage RAM 2400mhz. MSI GAMING 5 Z97 MOBOFractal Design Define S. Dark Rock Pro 3. 850 EVO 250GB Seasonic M12II 620w
RIG #2: 4790k @ 4.6 / 1.25v vcore. EVGA SC ACX 2.0 980 SLI16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz. Asus MAXIMUS VII Hero Z97. Fractal Design Define R5. NH D15. 850 EVO 250GB AX 860

There i'm fine checked their Warranty policy i should be able to RMA all things from now on i'll send Asus to a RMA of Cooler Master and they'll repair all demage :)

Warranty: http://www.coolermaster.com/service/warranty.htmle15674e81205c577efb0c2bb7b3c9928.png

Yes it broke but look RREAKIN warranty greater than 5 years by a couple of months!!