Should I RMA My MSI GTX 980 GAMING 4G

AontaighB

Upon installing a MSI GTX 980 GAMING 4G it into my system [Note: The specifications are below] and booting it I noticed green pixels as can be seen. These are completely random and tend to be more prevalent on dark backgrounds.

I also formatted my machine following this and installed the latest version of Windows 8.1 x64. Upon booting there was green pixels still prevalent on the home screen. After installing the latest Windows Updates along with NVidia driver the green pixels were still prevalent. I also ran "MSI Live Update 6", there was no newer BIOS or driver updates available. I have also restored my bios [Which is the latest version] to factory default settings but the issue still persisted.

These green pixels only appear when using DVI and not with HDMI though I need to use DVI as I have a ASUS VG248QE 144MHz monitor. These green pixels to not appear when using DVI with my R9 280X.

From this I can deduce that the DVI port is faulty on my 980. Should I RMA the card or just purchase a display port cable? What's making me not want to RMA it is having to wait to get a new one, which could be weeks.

CPU: AMD FX-8320 - 4.5GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0
Memory: Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2x4GB) - 1866MHz
SSD: x2 Sandisk Ultra Plus 124GB - RAID 0
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
Video Card:  MSI GTX 980 GAMING 4G
Case: Zalman Z11 Plus
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W
Operating System: Windows 8.1 x64

Monitor: ASUS VG248QE

6H39jPN.jpg

gl3LkOx.jpg

nisHd4D.jpg

the card might be deffective, but keep in mind that psu might not deliver power efficiently to the gpu, since it is meant for basic builds, not gaming rigs, also note that the cpu will bottleneck the card in the most cpu-bound games. do you have another psu to try the card? or a friends of yours?

The site has changed....

Can't you use displayport and get 144hz? Correct if I'm wrong.

the card might be deffective, but keep in mind that psu might not deliver power efficiently to the gpu, since it is meant for basic builds, not gaming rigs, also note that the cpu will bottleneck the card in the most cpu-bound games. do you have another psu to try the card? or a friends of yours?

Read the original thread, the 980 works perfectly when using HDMI but using Display Port results in the green pixels as seen in the images. It is not a PSU issue.

An FX-8350 will not be utilized at a rate of 100% when gaming, hence no bottleneck though obviously I would get more FPS with an i5-6600K for example.

Can't you use displayport and get 144hz? Correct if I'm wrong.

Yes, hence why I am considering purchasing a display port cable rather than RMA'ing the card because I don't want to go for weeks with out the 980.

Read the original thread, the 980 works perfectly when using HDMI but using Display Port results in the green pixels as seen in the images. It is not a PSU issue.

links pls. too lazy to search

The site has changed....

links pls. too lazy to search

"These green pixels only appear when using DVI and not with HDMI though I need to use DVI as I have an ASUS VG248QE 144MHz monitor. These green pixels to not appear when using DVI with my R9 280X.

From this I can deduce that the DVI port is faulty on my 980."

Try a different screen and if it still persists rma it

It's not an issue with the monitor, rather it is an issue with the DVI port. HDMI works fine with the 980.