PC requires being started up twice before it boots into Windows

Salty
Go to solution Solved by DebatED Nothing,

My friend and I have both had similar issues in the past. My issue was fixed by just taking apart the PC and rebuilding it, meaning it was a cable that was loose or something. My friend's issue was fixed by updating his BIOS. Try both of these.

I have a fairly old system that is clearly on it's way out. It's got an i5 2500K, a Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3 motherboard, R9 280X and a Silverstone ST60F-P power supply.

Lately (since the past few weeks), I will start it up in the morning, it *sometimes* POSTs and flashes the BIOS splash screen, but will shut off right before it boots Windows. All the fans and lights inside my case turn off. However, the second time I press the power button (about 5 secs after it shuts down) it usually boots into Windows fine with no issues.

I am well aware that my PC is dying and I plan to upgrade to either Skylake or Zen when it comes out. Some of my SATA ports are already dead, most likely something wrong with the controller maybe.

What do, LTT? It's either a motherboard or PSU issue from my view.

My friend and I have both had similar issues in the past. My issue was fixed by just taking apart the PC and rebuilding it, meaning it was a cable that was loose or something. My friend's issue was fixed by updating his BIOS. Try both of these.

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

• 2 weeks later...

Solved my problem, reseated the cables and RAM and selected fastboot mode in the BIOS (not sure if it helped or not).

Thanks! Hopefully I can squeeze some more life out of this PC now that I know what that problem was.