HD558 - Foam mod or not?

Rocki

I have new HD558 and I loved them, sound is very good.

You recommend do the foam mod or not?

I have new HD558 and I loved them, sound is very good.

You recommend do the foam mod or not?

only if you feel you need to

RIG #14670k @4.4 / 1.25v vcore. @ 4.5 / 1.3v vcore/ 1.95v vccin. MSI GAMING 4G GTX 970 @1540/3700 1.275v BIOS MOD. 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage RAM 2400mhz. MSI GAMING 5 Z97 MOBOFractal Design Define S. Dark Rock Pro 3. 850 EVO 250GB Seasonic M12II 620w
RIG #2: 4790k @ 4.6 / 1.25v vcore. EVGA SC ACX 2.0 980 SLI16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz. Asus MAXIMUS VII Hero Z97. Fractal Design Define R5. NH D15. 850 EVO 250GB AX 860

Do you want a marginally more relaxed upper midrange and slightly larger soundstage? Then sure.

Oh I just did a 558 foam mod. And I can tell you from experience that it makes quite the difference. It makes it a fair bit more open. It really does sound like the 598. Only difference is the cloth kinda smothers the sound a tiny bit. I would say its about  90% of the 598 with the foam mod. But Bass is not as loud. Less of the punch is reflected back. But thats a double edged sword, as the mids and highs dont get reflected back either which makes it sound more open and realistic. You can really tell when you play games. (CS GO)  Directional awareness improves a noticeable amount. But again doing the foam mod will leak some more sound as well. I did this mod and it worked out for me. But some people find that the more booming bass with the foam in is better. Your option 

[CPU] i7 4790K OC [CPU Cooler] H100i [GPU] Evga GTX 980 SuperClocked [Ram] Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1866 mhz [PSU] Cooler Master 1000w Silent Pro [storage] 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 1 TB WD Blue 4 TB Seagate Nas. [Motherboard] Msi Z97 Gaming 5 [Case] Phantom 410 Red [sound] Onboard ALC 1150 [Headphones] Sennheiser HD 558 [Keyboard] Razer BlackWidow Chroma  [Mouse] Razer Deathadder Chroma [Mouse] Razer FireFly [Monitor] Asus MG278Q

Only difference is the cloth kinda smothers the sound a tiny bit. I would say its about  90% of the 598 with the foam mod. But Bass is not as loud.

Way too much driver variation in the HD5x0 to draw these kind of conclusions.