XSPC AX240 - Arc Mini R2 - CPU only. First time, I have some questions.

Hi, this is the build I'm planning:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/rory182/saved/2hi7

I would like to watercool the CPU only and put the radiator in the front of the case.

Questions:

1) I'm using the reference GTX 780, so I'm not going to install the blue LEDs on the kit, what coolant can I buy which can fit the GTX 780 green/silver colour scheme?

2) Is everything compatible? (mobo/case/watercooling)

3) What overclock can I expect on a 4770k?

4) Where will the HDDs go?

5) Could someone tell me the layout I should put it in? I assume the reservoir goes into the 2 3.5 inch bays?

Note:

Parts are already decided

The Arc Mini R2 is not yet released, but can be viewed here: http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=product∏=117

Any help much appreciated.

You will need to mount SSDS or 2.5 inch hdd on the back of the mobo

You will need to mount SSDS or 2.5 inch hdd on the back of the mobo

SSDs are fine as theres 2 spots on the back of the mobo, the HDD is what I'm worried about.

I would like to watercool the CPU only and put the radiator in the front of the case.

Questions:

1) I'm using the reference GTX 780, so I'm not going to install the blue LEDs on the kit, what coolant can I buy which can fit the GTX 780 green/silver colour scheme?

2) Is everything compatible? (mobo/case/watercooling)

3) What overclock can I expect on a 4770k?

4) Where will the HDDs go?

5) Could someone tell me the layout I should put it in? I assume the reservoir goes into the 2 3.5 inch bays?

welcome to LinusTechTips forum.

1a. since this may be your first build or first water cooling build, keep it simple.

use colored tubing first till you have an understanding on what functionality and

what the build wants/needs for aesthetics.

2a. so far, yeah it might be all good, dunno with the case not available yet. compared

to the R1 release pretty much.

3a.

ASUS has tested a couple hundred Haswell processors at this time and this is ASUS’ specific feedback from that overclock testing.

70% of CPUs can clock to 4.5GHz

30% of CPUs can clock to 4.6GHz

20% of CPUs can clock to 4.7GHz

10% of CPUs can to 4.8GHz

Overall you will find most CPUs capable of reaching 44x to 45x with varying levels of voltage.

Given the wide variety of voltages ASUS has seen at various clock speeds, it made some recommendations based on CPU core voltage needs.

For voltages up to 1.250-1.265 a Cooling solution meeting a minimum of a Corsair H80i is advised, superior performance can be offered by moving to the H90 or higher performing dual fan closed loop solutions.

For voltages up to 1.275-1.300 a cooling solution meeting a minimum of a Corsair H100i is advised.

For voltages up to or greater than 1.300v a high performance water cooling system is recommended. Minimum recommendation would be a unit such as Koolance EX2-755.

For voltages up to or greater than 1.350 a high performance water cooling system is recommended. Minimum recommendation would be a unit such as a Koolance EX2-1055.

Keep in mind these recommendations are based on controlling peak temperatures and loads under synthetic stress applications. For nominal real world usage load temperatures will be considerably under that of stress tests.

An average Haswell chip will require the following voltages for a stable overclock:

4.2GHz: 1.15v

4.3GHz: 1.18v

4.4GHz: 1.21v

4.5GHz: 1.25v

4.6GHz: 1.3v

4.7GHz: 1.35v

4.8GHz: 1.4v

4a. well if you gotta have the radiator up front, that could make an issue for you.

some relocate the HDDs to the 5.25 bays, but you are using that for the bayres, so either

custom faux panel/bracket or relocate the HDD cage like the XL version (won't know till

the retail release of case)

5a. the bayres goes in the 5.25" bays. pretty simple:

pump/res>rad>CPU>pump/res

read these pinned subjects:

Water Cooling 101 - A good place for newbies to start

Water cooling FAQ - Some Basic Q&A

airdeano

welcome to LinusTechTips forum.

1a. since this may be your first build or first water cooling build, keep it simple.

use colored tubing first till you have an understanding on what functionality and

what the build wants/needs for aesthetics.

2a. so far, yeah it might be all good, dunno with the case not available yet. compared

to the R1 release pretty much.

3a.

4a. well if you gotta have the radiator up front, that could make an issue for you.

some relocate the HDDs to the 5.25 bays, but you are using that for the bayres, so either

custom faux panel/bracket or relocate the HDD cage like the XL version (won't know till

the retail release of case)

5a. the bayres goes in the 5.25" bays. pretty simple:

pump/res>rad>CPU>pump/res

read these pinned subjects:

Water Cooling 101 - A good place for newbies to start

Water cooling FAQ - Some Basic Q&A

airdeano

Wasn't expecting that much help, thank you for the detailed reply, very kind of you. If I could ask one more question, do I buy coloured tubing and then a coolant? The AX240 comes with its own tubing which is transparent which I do not want, so I'll probably want to buy solid white tubing with a coolant then I assume? Do you have any recommendations for a coolant? Also, what would be wrong with using a different coloured coolant?

Thanks for helping again,

do I buy coloured tubing and then a coolant? The AX240 comes with its own tubing which is transparent which I do not want, so I'll probably want to buy solid white tubing with a coolant then I assume? Do you have any recommendations for a coolant? Thanks for helping again,

to start off, use distilled water and either a biocide or silver kill coil.

again, keep it simple. use the included tubing in the kit and then progress to upgrades

and changes down the road. once you got the base of build completed, then dress it up

with what all pretty products you can get.

airdeano

I'll probably want to buy solid white tubing with a coolant then I assume?

MasterKleer make very nice solid white tubing.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

to start off, use distilled water and either a biocide or silver kill coil.

again, keep it simple. use the included tubing in the kit and then progress to upgrades

and changes down the road. once you got the base of build completed, then dress it up

with what all pretty products you can get.

airdeano

Is there any specific brand I should go with that is most trusted with the coolant?

I was thinking of replacing the included tubing with the same tubing from XSPC but in white if this is correct: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-138-XS&groupid=962&catid=1530&subcat=1775 - Are there any problems doing it this way?

Thanks for your reply again

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-138-XS&groupid=962&catid=1530&subcat=1775 - This is the same as the one included in the XSPC kit I think so I thought it'd be best to use that one or? 

They are all about the same quality afaik, you will be fine with that.

If you want very good quality tubing look at Primochill LRT Advanced tubing.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.