AMD RamDISK worth it?

Nymmie

How much performance benefit do you REALLY get out of using this?

And is it really worth the cost of getting enough RAM to support it?

http://www.radeonmemory.com/software_4.0.php

Currently using Asus P6T Deluxe V2 as my MOBO with tri-channel DDR3 Memory so i could max it out at 48GB RAM... and making a 40GB Ramdisk

CPU: Intel 4770k @ 4.6Ghtz MB: Asus z87-Deluxe RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Red 1866mhtz Storage: Corsair Force 3 120GBx2 PSU: Corsair HX1000 GPU: ASUS GTX 780 DCU2 Case: Define R4

LTC: LeBdcWLcreZREjTRHJsi3vN4oRDVvqRNXf

Depends what you're doing but probably not.

Get a ssd instead.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Currently not, Next few years when DDR4 are norm might worth it.

RamDisk also require extra hassle and risk of losing cos you forgot to save the data before turning off your computer. Plus RAMDisk also make booting longer

Depends what you're doing but probably not.

Get a ssd instead.

I was thinking for gaming... particularily GW2, SWTOR and a bit of DOTA 2

I already have 2 SSD's (not in raid because linux doesnt like MOBO Raid and wont see those disks at all)

My alternative was to upgrade to ASUS Z87-Deluxe with 4770k and get a SSD to dedicate to using as a cache

CPU: Intel 4770k @ 4.6Ghtz MB: Asus z87-Deluxe RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Red 1866mhtz Storage: Corsair Force 3 120GBx2 PSU: Corsair HX1000 GPU: ASUS GTX 780 DCU2 Case: Define R4

I already have 2 SSD's (not in raid because linux doesnt like MOBO Raid and wont see those disks at all)

My alternative was to upgrade to ASUS Z87-Deluxe with 4770k and get a SSD to dedicate to using as a cache

I don't see why you would need a ramdisk for that.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

You sir have a good taste in games =)

And yeah I don't think RAMDisk will be all that useful in your case

Alright then. I believe i have my answer! Now If i can get my cookie (Asus Pheobus), I shall be on my way.

You sir have a good taste in games =)
And yeah I don't think RAMDisk will be all that useful in your case

Thanks! :-)

A few of my friends mock me for SWTOR but i do like the Star Wars universe... that and the Star Trek MMO just sucks IMO...

i only have 4gb ram and i use RAMdisk as a caching for my system. It does give my system a bit of a 'kick'

| CPU: INTEL i5 6600k @ 4.6Ghz @ 1.328v | Motherboard: ASUS Z170-AR | Ram: G.SKILL 2x8GB 2400Mhz | CPU Cooler : Corsair H100i V2

| GPU: GIGABYTE GTX980Ti G1 GAMING | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB  Storage: WD 1TB GREEN | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit | PSU: FSP 650W AURUM S |

<<<<< BLK-Phant0m >>>>>