Someone explain black PCBs?

Alir

I am deciding between two motherboards:

MSI Z97 GD65

MSI Z97 Gaming 3

I ordered the GD65 brand new from Amazon but it seems that they sent me a used motherboard (it wasn't sealed). So I am returning this for a refund.

However I have noticed the motherboard has a slightly brown colour to it. On a closer look it appears the browniness is the result of the bus lanes on the motherboard. Does this mean the PCB is brown or black? I don't understand what makes a PCB 'black'. Is the slight brown colour universal?

MSI Z97 GD65

MSI Z97 Gaming 3

I ordered the GD65 brand new from Amazon but it seems that they sent me a used motherboard (it wasn't sealed). So I am returning this for a refund.

However I have noticed the motherboard has a slightly brown colour to it. On a closer look it appears the browniness is the result of the bus lanes on the motherboard. Does this mean the PCB is brown or black? I don't understand what makes a PCB 'black'. Is the slight brown colour universal?

Uhm.. what?

A black PCB is just.. black.

Thy hath sinneth, and in thy life thou hast fallen to an unholy, unspeakable level of humanity. Thou hast given into your basest needs. And suffered many years under thine Satan-box. However, if thine be willing, as thy hast show yourself to be, thy can ascendeth into thy glorious fold of the glorious church. Go well, my brother, may your temps be low and your frames high. ~ MrDynamicMan

Uhm.. what?

A black PCB is just.. black.

Completely black? Or are the bus lanes always brown?

If it's not all black, then i don't consider it black.

I hate brown.

"If you ain't first, you're last"

The PCB being black refers to the actual fiber glass material. If they don't use enough material over the circuits, it can result in the natural copper color being shown.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Completely black? Or are the bus lanes always brown?

Its a brown board I have the lower end 45 

keep in mind that the gaming 3 is worse than both

there are black boards which the gaming 3 is one of

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

It's "black" but there are not many motherboards that are true black.

So does that mean that the Gaming 3 motherboard will likely also have brown bus lanes?

If it's not all black, then i don't consider it black.

I hate brown.

Racist :P jks

So the GD65 is better than the Gaming 3 even though the GD65 has a brown PCB and the Gaming 3 has a black PCB?

Here's what they advertise (edited):

mb_img_01.png

Here's what you get:

tarjeta-madre-msi-z97-g55-sli-1150-hdmi-

Damn corporations...

Here's what they advertise (edited):

Here's what you get:

They have this lovely disclaimer at the bottom of the product pages:

2. Due to photography and/or monitor settings, coloration of product images may vary from actual product.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

So is that misleading advertising typical of all non-£300+ motherboards?

Asus RoG Series are Black PCB, at least my Z97 ranger is

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

So the GD65 is better than the Gaming 3 even though the GD65 has a brown PCB and the Gaming 3 has a black PCB?

Yes it is just looks

I honestly cant tell though with my board unless I go right up to it

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

So does that mean that the Gaming 3 motherboard will likely also have brown bus lanes?

Racist :P jks

Black Motherboards with white/gray/red/black circuits all day fam

"If you ain't first, you're last"

MSI Z97 GD65

MSI Z97 Gaming 3

Different colours of PCB = different colours of materials used, or they painted it or something.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I don't suppose you know exactly how the GD65 is better than the Gaming 3? In terms of BIOS features? And what about in terms of overclocking?

I ask because I might need the M.2 slot on the Gaming 3 in the future. But I do not NEED it right now.

My laptop has an M.2 SSD and in case my laptop breaks, I would move the SSD into my PC.

I think a GD65 - Gaming 3 comparison was mentioned in one of my previous threads but I cannot recall anything specific in terms of OCing or BIOS features.