How powerful does a NAS have to be?

Shaqtin

Hey guys, I am new to the Linus tech tips forum so please forgive me if I make some stupid mistakes while uploading this topic. The reason I came to the forum was to get some opinions regarding a topic that I struggled to find alot about on the almighty Google search. My question is, what is the minimum hardware I need to run a NAS for my home. I had this cool idea that I might be able to turn my grandfathers old PC into a working NAS for me and my family to use. I thought it might be a cool project but upon further inspection I realise that his PC is really not to good (His board doesn't even have any sata port the board uses IDE ports). Anyway I was just wondering if anyone would be able to help me out and tell me just how powerful a NAS computer really NEEDS to be.

PS. I was planning to use freeNAS on the machine

Thanks heaps

Shaqtin

Well an arm cortex can run 100MB/s.

So having an i3 do the job should be overkill.

Hi Shaqtin and welcome to the forums,

(CPU)-Performance wise, a NAS does not really need anything special if you just plan to dump data on it. If you, however, plan to use on-the-fly encoding for video streaming, a more potent CPU will be needed. For simple homeuse i would go with an older and cheap to get dual or quadcore core cpu (Q6600 e.g).

Depending on the amount of data that you plan to store on the NAS up to 4GB of RAM would be my suggestion. Starting at 512MB should work decently.

A dedicated GPU is not needed but you have to consider that you either need onboard graphics OR a small dedicated GPU.

Storage wise i suggest at least two SATA Ports so you can run at least a RAID 1 or 10. RAID 10 is more efficient. Google for "RAID 10 near far" for more info on that topic.

If you need anything more, just ask again here.

Regards

Machines take me by surprise with great frequency

snip

Welcome to LTT :). Remember to follow your thread so you get notified of replies :D

Pretty much any hardware can run a NAS. It's the network card that determines the speed though. For a NAS setup you'd definitely want something with Raid 1 capabilities for redundancy - so if one hard drive fails, the NAS continues to function.

If you're using that PC I'd recommend getting a SATA PCI card with built-in raid 1 (or better) capabilities, as well as a PCI gigabit Ethernet card. Make sure the cards are PCI as I doubt that machine has PCIe. Don't get those IDE to SATA adapters as not all of them are reliable.

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

A nas only has to be powerful enough to support the OS (usually some linux distro, or android) and be able to recognise the hard drive space plugged into it.

Hey guys, I am new to the Linus tech tips forum so please forgive me if I make some stupid mistakes while uploading this topic. The reason I came to the forum was to get some opinions regarding a topic that I struggled to find alot about on the almighty Google search. My question is, what is the minimum hardware I need to run a NAS for my home. I had this cool idea that I might be able to turn my grandfathers old PC into a working NAS for me and my family to use. I thought it might be a cool project but upon further inspection I realise that his PC is really not to good (His board doesn't even have any sata port the board uses IDE ports). Anyway I was just wondering if anyone would be able to help me out and tell me just how powerful a NAS computer really NEEDS to be.

PS. I was planning to use freeNAS on the machine

Thanks heaps

Shaqtin

A dual core x86 CPU or quad core ArMv7 capable CPU. (v8 would be nice but that's a luxury).

2-4GB ram if it's your repository for your household.

How ever much storage you want.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I have an 8 year old machine running my nas and so far not had a single problem with it.

It's not a race to the bottom.