Which motherboard should I get?

ghostR
Go to solution Solved by Imakuni,

The only store i can buy from is evetech.co.za and rebeltech.co.za They both will have a vast selection of motherboards and it will be priced in Rands (ZAR). My budget is R2500.

I'd say this one is the best. Ofc you can prefer something else for the looks, but as far as OCing goes, this one should give you the best results with it's 11phase VRM (unless I counted wrong).

http://www.evetech.co.za/PC-Hardware/buy-msi-z170a-sli-plus-motherboard-1478.aspx

My options are:
  • MSI Z170A TOMAHAWK
  • GIGABYTE Z170-HD3
  • MSI H170 Gaming M3

I currently have the GIGABYTE Z170-HD3 in my hand. I am considering taking it back to the supplier and exchanging it for one of the MSI boards. (if its worth it.) Since well. I have spent the past 3 days exploring the factor. Then next minute my friend decided to order it.. without me really approving. Anyway, i would like somebody else's eyes on this thanks!

1. Decide your CPU. If it's going to be a 6600k, stick to z170 mobos. If it'll be a locked SKU, ask for a refund on that GA mobo and get the h170 (unless the price difference is marginal).

At any rate, if you do decide to go for the z170 route, return that mobo anyway. It only has 6 power phases. In that sense, the MSI is superior, with an 8phase design.... but if possible, avoid that one as well. You should be able to find mobos with a 10 phase design for a similar price; aim for those instead. If they are completely out of reach, though, just return the GA one and get MSI's.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

1. Decide your CPU. If it's going to be a 6600k, stick to z170 mobos. If it'll be a locked SKU, ask for a refund on that GA mobo and get the h170 (unless the price difference is marginal).
  2. At any rate, if you do decide to go for the z170 route, return that mobo anyway. It only has 6 power phases. In that sense, the MSI is superior, with an 8phase design.... but if possible, avoid that one as well. You should be able to find mobos with a 10 phase design for a similar price; aim for those instead. If they are completely out of reach, though, just return the GA one and get MSI's.

Well I am looking to upgrade my CPU around April or so. So generally im looking for a motherboard that will support overclocking. Since I will be building a K rig then on LGA 1151. What MSI motherboard would you suggest. Since the few I looked at really put me off by the old SATA placements and just general look for the board. 

Well I am looking to upgrade my CPU around April or so. So generally im looking for a motherboard that will support overclocking. Since I will be building a K rig then on LGA 1151. What MSI motherboard would you suggest. Since the few I looked at really put me off by the old SATA placements and just general look for the board. 

Give me a link to a trusted store, as well as your budget for the mobo. What you are looking for is any z170 that has 10 or more power phases; doesn't need to be MSI's specifically. See if you can find any affordable options that match this criteria.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Give me a link to a trusted store, as well as your budget for the mobo. What you are looking for is any z170 that has 10 or more power phases; doesn't need to be MSI's specifically. See if you can find any affordable options that match this criteria.

The only store i can buy from is evetech.co.za and rebeltech.co.za They both will have a vast selection of motherboards and it will be priced in Rands (ZAR). My budget is R2500.

I'd say this one is the best. Ofc you can prefer something else for the looks, but as far as OCing goes, this one should give you the best results with it's 11phase VRM (unless I counted wrong).

http://www.evetech.co.za/PC-Hardware/buy-msi-z170a-sli-plus-motherboard-1478.aspx