Is it my monitor? Why isn't stuff as crisp anymore?

sonicsfan925

Hey guys,

Basically I think it's time for a new monitor or is it a placebo effect? I have this ASUS: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236123

I bought this baby about 5 years ago and it works fine until now.

I bought my mom this monitor last year: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009534

I actually got that for 129$, but now it's at 280$ lol (Proof: https://i.gyazo.com/41e332b160e5ec4ed3b59748947a2fa0.png) which is kind of funny.

Anyways, when viewing websites with a white text on a black background on MY monitor (ASUS) it's a bit blurry.  But, when viewing the same website on my mom's monitor (ACER) there is no blur and everything just looks more crisp....

So I'm curious obviously it's not my eyesight (i hope not lol), but why could the blurriness happen be on my ASUS monitor? Why isn't stuff crisp anymore on my ASUS monitor? Does the quality wear down over time or what? If this is true... I'm looking for an upgrade so help! Haha Thanks all :)

probably age has picked up with it or the contrast ratio is better in the acer monitor

Rig: Thermaltake Urban S71 | MSI Z77 G45-Gaming Intel Core i5 3570K (4.4Ghz @ 1.4v) CM Hyper 212 EVO | Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB | MSI GTX 660 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 3TB HDD | EVGA 850W B2

Well, the acer is a touch smaller, so has a higher pixel density leading to a marginally sharper image by nature.

I'd check your monitors settings, and your graphical settings in Crimson or Geforce Experience to make sure somethings not changed, but other than that I'm tempted to say its placebo.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

probably age has picked up with it or the contrast ratio is better in the acer monitor

Yeah, honestly I was just going to re-buy my mom's monitor that I bought her.. but then saw it's at 280$ now.. like what the fuck? lol Not sure what to buy now.

Are you sitting the same distance from both screens? Obviously if you're closer to your monitor it will possibly look worse.

Your monitor is 25" and your mother's is 23". She has a higher DPI screen, so that will impact how it looks too.

Well, the acer is a touch smaller, so has a higher pixel density leading to a marginally sharper image by nature.

I'd check your monitors settings, and your graphical settings in Crimson or Geforce Experience to make sure somethings not changed, but other than that I'm tempted to say its placebo.

That's actually a good idea. I'll do that now because I was fidgeting with my buttons on my monitor a few months ago.  I'll update this post when I'm done or reply here will be back

Are you sitting the same distance from both screens? Obviously if you're closer to your monitor it will possibly look worse.

Your monitor is 25" and your mother's is 23". She has a higher DPI screen, so that will impact how it looks too.

Well, it's the same viewing distance (i did this yesterday), just everything looks so much crispier on hers.. and I was like how is this possible I spent only 120$ on it and 250$ on mine.. lol but now that I check her's is actually a 280$ monitor but not when I bought it.. haha

Edit: I just found this review:

"Cons: tons of ghosting on black on white text. If you plan on using this to surf the net or any sort of black text on white do NOT buy this. I'm getting a headache due to the extreme amount of ghost effects. 

YES the speakers are THAT bad. I read the reviews, and didn't really care for the speakers. But when I first heard them i didn't expect them to be THAT bad. 

The controls are kinda clunky but manageable after a while.

Port connections hard to get too."

He posted that on 2012 as a review on newegg.. I bought mine in 2011.. fuck I was too late! I thought it was my eyesight this whole time LOL