CPU Usage 100%

no_clntrol

My computer has been crashing from time to time when I play demanding games, my GPU is up to the task, but both the CPU and PSU are old and weak. I noticed today when trying out Rainbow Six Siege that my processor was running at 88-90% at all times and spiking up to 100% during firefights and new scenes. Could this be leading to my PC shutting off when gaming? It's an old AMD FX-4100.

Temps never exceeded 50C during my 10 min "test" session.

Is this the text below my post?

well it is a pretty poor chip, what GPU do you have?

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

well it is a pretty poor chip, what GPU do you have?

I am in the middle of upgrading my PC, I was going to save up for the christmas offers but noticed there was a GTX970 for 200$ish on Black Friday, so that is what I am running.

What cooler? You can OC the living shit out of that chip if you try. It's not a good CPU at all, but it's worth a try to squeeze some extra life out of it.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

I am in the middle of upgrading my PC, I was going to save up for the christmas offers but noticed there was a GTX970 for 200$ish on Black Friday, so that is what I am running.

One ticket to Bottleneck Central, please!

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

What cooler? You can OC the living shit out of that chip if you try. It's not a good CPU at all, but it's worth a try to squeeze some extra life out of it.

Stock cooler at stock speeds, but I rarely ever see that shit above 40-45C. And I am getting an EVGA G2 PSU sometime this week. Never really tried overclocking so that would be interesting, if it would work at all

Stock cooler at stock speeds, but I rarely ever see that shit above 40-45C. And I am getting an EVGA G2 PSU sometime this week. Never really tried overclocking so that would be interesting, if it would work at all

I'm sure you could get some performance out of it... I'd still upgrade it fairly soon, though.

One ticket to Bottleneck Central, please!

I went from a Radeon HD7750, clocked at like 0.7ghz, could not even watch 720p on youtube. Even though I am currently the mayor of Bottleville, it is an insane upgrade that allowed me to play over 60FPS for the first time on a game other than CS.

I'm sure you could get some performance out of it... I'd still upgrade it fairly soon, though.

Yeah, upgrade is incoming. Not sure what I want though, leaning towards the 4690k since I am not really that into video editing and whatnot

Yeah, upgrade is incoming. Not sure what I want though, leaning towards the 4690k since I am not really that into video editing and whatnot

Nice choice; it's a great chip.

Nice choice; it's a great chip.

I've read nothing but good about it. Only that the cooling sucks deek. But let's stick to the topic, could the 100% CPU usage be the reason to my PC shutting down? At first I thought it was the PSU that couldn't handle the new GPU, but the shutdowns happens at 55% GPU loads as well, so I am kind of narrowing that one out.

I've read nothing but good about it. Only that the cooling sucks deek. But let's stick to the topic, could the 100% CPU usage be the reason to my PC shutting down? At first I thought it was the PSU that couldn't handle the new GPU, but the shutdowns happens at 55% GPU loads as well, so I am kind of narrowing that one out.

What PSU?

What PSU?

AXP 500P12P 372w on the 12v rail, which imo should be enough to power my stuff.

AXP 500P12P 372w on the 12v rail, which imo should be enough to power my stuff.

It's your PSU. It's not even 80+ rated. It consumes 500W and outputs less than 400W. That's unsafe. Try a different PSU.

It's your PSU. It's not even 80+ rated. It consumes 500W and outputs less than 400W. That's unsafe. Try a different PSU.

But the crashes occur even when the GPU consumption is at like 50%, that is why I am so curious to if it actually is the PSU causing the crashes.. I am getting my new G2 650w any day soon, no worries.

But the crashes occur even when the GPU consumption is at like 50%, that is why I am so curious to if it actually is the PSU causing the crashes.. I am getting my new G2 650w any day soon, no worries.

Let me know if that fixes it. If it crashes at 50% load, it's probably PSU related.

Let me know if that fixes it. If it crashes at 50% load, it's probably PSU related.

I will! What causes these things though? Unstable currents? I know literally nothing about PSU as I've never had to do any real research about them. And sorry if I am taking a lot of your time :)

I will! What causes these things though? Unstable currents? I know literally nothing about PSU as I've never had to do any real research about them. And sorry if I am taking a lot of your time :)

Lack of power via bad capacitors. Never skimp out on a decent PSU. 

Lack of power via bad capacitors. Never skimp out on a decent PSU.

Oh, makes sense why a PSU with cheap parts would fail then. No, I am literally scared everytime I start my PC, and really looking forward to the upgrade.

Installed my new PSU about 5 hours ago, everything has been running fine ever since! :D