Super long startup

suchamoneypit

I've been having an issue with my 2TB WD Black HDD. I boot into desktop in around 14 seconds, the issue is that once im on desktop, my HDD goes to 100% usage for a solid 10-20 minutes on windows "System" process, also a "wsappx(2)" process.I just did a virus scan yesterday, nothing found.. While this is happening I cant do anything as it takes an entire minute just to open a folder. Sometimes it only takes a few minutes before I can do stuff, but for example, right now, its 15 minutes and counting of 100% usage.

Its also worth noting that occasionally my HDD will make a sort of buzzing or humming noise when going to 100% usage (it sounds electronic) and will do this for 10-20 seconds and return to normal HDD sounds. A quick google search found me nothing about it.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

take a look at your startup programs

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

take a look at your startup programs

I have disabled pretty much everything besides the "InstallShield" for solidworks, puush, and Radeon Settings.

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

I have disabled pretty much everything besides the "InstallShield" for solidworks, puush, and Radeon Settings.

How old is the hdd?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

How old is the hdd?

bought the newest version that was availible last christmas

~snip~

Hey there suchamoneypit,

Is this your OS drive? I would first back up any vital and important data from the drive somewhere else just to be on the safe side that it is safe. Then I would get WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool and see if the drive passes both the quick and the extended tests. This should tell you if the problem is with the drive or not. Here's a link to the tool: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=yk1wXX

You can also run a benchmark and compare the results to the ones in the drive's spec sheet and see if the drive is working at its optimal speed. Here's a link to WD Black's spec sheet: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=lrnyMU

I'd also test the drive with another cable on another port and possibly on another cmputer and see if the 100% usage persists. 

If the drive passes all tests I would check if there are any pending OS, river or firmware updates. Sometimes outdated OS drivers and updates can cause 100% storage drive usage (especially if the OS updater is running). 

Post back with some results. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey there suchamoneypit,

Is this your OS drive? I would first back up any vital and important data from the drive somewhere else just to be on the safe side that it is safe. Then I would get WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool and see if the drive passes both the quick and the extended tests. This should tell you if the problem is with the drive or not. Here's a link to the tool: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=yk1wXX

You can also run a benchmark and compare the results to the ones in the drive's spec sheet and see if the drive is working at its optimal speed. Here's a link to WD Black's spec sheet: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=lrnyMU

I'd also test the drive with another cable on another port and possibly on another cmputer and see if the 100% usage persists. 

If the drive passes all tests I would check if there are any pending OS, river or firmware updates. Sometimes outdated OS drivers and updates can cause 100% storage drive usage (especially if the OS updater is running). 

Post back with some results. :)

Captain_WD.

thanks for the reply, when im going to be away from my PC for an extended time today ill run those programs. As far as pending OS/Driver updates, where do I check that?

~snip~

You are welcome! :) Do post back when you get some results so everyone knows how it went and if we can offer any further troubleshooting. For the update part - it should be enough if you run the OS update utility and it will check automatically if there are any new versions for it or the drivers. Your other option is to go through each hardware part manually and check the manufacturer's website for the latest driver and see if you have it installed. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/