broken power switch

poshpig911

I came home one day and my brother said the computer wouldn't turn on. I tried taking the power switch plug out then back in but that didn't work. Then I tried the reset switch plug in the power switch socket and finally I tried shorting the pins out with a screwdriver. Nothing worked. I am getting a replacement motherboard shipped free of charge but am just wondering what was wrong. The only thing I could think of is that the pins are broken.

The motherboard is a gigabyte 970A-UD3P

Sounds like a dead PSU to me.  Especially if it didn't do anything at all when you tried powering it on.

I have my backlit keyboard plugged in to the motherboard and its lights are on

I have my backlit keyboard plugged in to the motherboard and its lights are on

All that means is that the PSU is still supplying power on the 5V rail.  If the 12V rail is dead its not going to do anything.

You mentioned you shorted the switch pins earlier on the PSU and nothing happened.  Unplug every power connection from the MB and try that again.  If the MB is the problem the PSU will fire up when disconnected from it, but if the PSU still doesn't turn on after being disconnected from the MB  when shorting the pins, you have found the issue.