is 980ti worthed for dual 1080p monitor?

AsukaNii

i'm thinking of buying 980ti but i i have dual 1080p monitor......should i save money and buy 980 or r9 390x and buy a chair?

Shout out to Fanfiction Site

A 980ti is definitely overkill for 1080p but I wouldn't advertise against it.  You could get by with a 390 and still get decent frame rates on high or ultra settings.

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

What's the most demanding game you play?  At 1080p, with the settings maxed, and any/all mods you like installed, what to tests you've seen show the framerate at?  If it's getting just above 60, or (much) worse yet, less than 60, it's worth it (not overkill) but check your games - for all I know, you play stock minecraft and this will give you a pointless 1000 fps :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

r9 390x and buy a chair!

Even a 380 is decent for 1080p.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Buy the best GPU you can afford.

My 290X can't even max out some games these days.

Exactly. I don't think there is such a thing as overkill if you play any AAA titles, unless you're running like 480p for some reason.  You never know when another Unity or GTA IV will come along needing way more power than it should, and with a good card, you'll be ready :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Exactly. I don't think there is such a thing as overkill if you play any AAA titles, unless you're running like 480p for some reason.  You never know when another Unity or GTA IV will come along needing way more power than it should, and with a good card, you'll be ready :)

Yeah. I almost stroke out when people say the 980Ti is overkill for 1080p. It really isn't.

Nothing in technology can be overkill in my eyes.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

Yeah. I almost stroke out when people say the 980Ti is overkill for 1080p. It really isn't.

There really is going to be a point when a single CUDA core be designated for a single pixel and at that point it will be overkill.

I currently power a three 1080p display setup using a single 390X. I usually downgrade to one screen for most games to get higher framerates but it actually able to run games like eve online, guild wars 2, planetside 2, planetary anhhilation on max graphical settings. even arma 3 (at 30-35 FPS, with dips to 25-30) with eyefinity on all three displays.

So with that info I dont think a 980 ti is really needed.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

There really is going to be a point when a single CUDA core be designated for a single pixel and at that point it will be overkill.

Let me know when that happens in the near future.

Привет товарищ ))))

Well we're a little ways off from having millions of CUDA cores, so that shouldn't be for another couple decades yet

Well we're a little ways off from having millions of CUDA cores, so that shouldn't be for another couple decades yet

and by the time that happens we'd have like 32k screens. 

and by the time that happens we'd have like 32k screens. 

that would be great.  I've always wanted to see my renders at 1:1 :D

True, but my point is that there will be a time where overkill in any context will apply.

True, but my point is that there will be a time where overkill in any context will apply.

sure, in some context.  Like I said, if OP's playing stock minecraft or something, then yeah a 980ti is overkill, but for most things, you can't get enough GPU power

sure, in some context.  Like I said, if OP's playing stock minecraft or something, then yeah a 980ti is overkill, but for most things, you can't get enough GPU power

Well there is already on context where this apply. Please don't be ignorant, for the love of god i'm only using it as an example. I'm neither a prophet or god.

What i meant is that overkill means you do not need it. And i am fairly certain that if you plug a 980Ti on to a 720P monitor right now, no consumer monitor can fully make use of it.

Then therefore, overkill.

I was correcting the fact that there is obvious ways to have something that is overkill. Not whatever the hell you are interpretating right now.

So 5960X, 128GB of RAM, Raid 0 with 2 NVMe SSD, and 4-Way SLI/Crossfire isn't overkill for checking emails on a 1280x1024 monitor?

Well there is already on context where this apply. Please don't be ignorant, for the love of god i'm only using it as an example. I'm neither a prophet or god.

What i meant is that overkill means you do not need it. And i am fairly certain that if you plug a 980Ti on to a 720P monitor right now, no consumer monitor can fully make use of it.

Then therefore, overkill.

I was correcting the fact that there is obvious ways to have something that is overkill. Not whatever the hell you are interpretating right now.

I have no idea what you are trying to say.  Yes of course overkill means you don't need it.  That's the definition.  And I mentioned in my first post that there are situations where it could be overkill, so you've got nothing to "correct".  And OPs running 1080p not 720p, but regardless, there are still certain applications that could load a 980ti to the point of getting less than 60 fps on 720p (regardless of which monitor you are using).

Yeah, he \/ has got a point.  There are plenty of technology setups that can be overkill.  Just, not a whole lot involving AAA gaming and any GPU

So 5960X, 128GB of RAM, Raid 0 with 2 NVMe SSD, and 4-Way SLI/Crossfire isn't overkill for checking emails on a 1280x1024 monitor?

I have no idea what you are trying to say.  Yes of course overkill means you don't need it.  That's the definition.  And I mentioned in my first post that there are situations where it could be overkill, so you've got nothing to "correct".  And OPs running 1080p not 720p, but regardless, there are still certain applications that could load a 980ti to the point of getting less than 60 fps on 720p (regardless of which monitor you are using).

In the end you don't understand what i mentioned.

But you accept it. 

In the end you don't understand what i mentioned.

But you accept it. 

Then what did you mention.  It would be good to know after this many posts what it is

Then what did you mention.  It would be good to know after this many posts what it is

All i meant was that it was easy to define overkill.

Lol.

All i meant was that it was easy to define overkill.

Lol.

lol ok, well good to know

But, we didn't need it defined - everyone knows it means something that is more powerful than you need

Sure, if you want.

Way to take my words literally and a bit out of context. I thought I was in the YouTube comment section for a second.

Привет товарищ ))))