New HDD problems

Mchedlo

Hello guys! so I just bought a new HDD as suggested from this forum. I installed fresh windows 7 on it, I just wanted to check task manager and what do I see... for doing absolutely nothing, PC RAM usage is 68% and CPU is jumping from 50-60%. I got confused and restarted PC, but it starts shortly after some minutes PC is booted up. as I did my research, I discovered that its caused by windows update. it keeps searching for them but cant find anything ( I let it try like 40 mins at least).I dig up some info and as suggested from internet, tried some tips.(disabled windows update and other 2 services, cleared cache folder, changed proxy and etc.) still nothing helped. some dude on one of forums posted that he tried everything but only one tip helped him, which was installing intel rapid technology driver. I assumed that because I got new HDD it may have some issues mby. so I wanted to download that driver but it tells me that its not compatible with PC. my PC specs are: Mobo: MSI G31TM-P2 (775 socket). if any other specs are needed I will provide. BTW my HDD is Seagate ST500DM002-1BD142

image.jpg

-snip-

You did test the hard drive for errors before using it as a boot device right? Like Extended Run Test on WD Lifeguard (I'm sure Seagate has a equivalent).

You shouldn't really need to get a driver for your hard drive...Windows should pick it up right away or get one online.

You did test the hard drive for errors before using it as a boot device right? Like Extended Run Test on WD Lifeguard (I'm sure Seagate has a equivalent).

You shouldn't really need to get a driver for your hard drive...Windows should pick it up right away or get one online.

I did fast scan with HD tune and also crystal disc info. no errors. Power on hours was: 2 hours. if there is no way that person can reset that, its legit then :D if not suggest me a program for Seagate :))

I did fast scan with HD tune and also crystal disc info. no errors. Power on hours was: 2 hours. if there is no way that person can reset that, its legit then :D if not suggest me a program for Seagate :))

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

Seatools. Run the "Long Generic" test. It goes through your drive from end to end.

Otherwise Windows Update is just being Windows Update. haha.

~snip~

Hey there Mchedlo,

I would also recommend using the manufacturer's tool and run both the quick and the extended tests. Running chkdsk /r from the cmd will also check your drive for any unreadable sectors and report them. Post the S.M.A.R.T. status with the raw values here and we can give you a more detailed explanation of the drive's condition. 
Check your resource manager and see if anything else besides the OS Update utility is putting your system under higher load. Contact MS's support for more suggestions regarding the OS update problem. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

Seatools. Run the "Long Generic" test. It goes through your drive from end to end.

Otherwise Windows Update is just being Windows Update. haha.

Hey there Mchedlo,

I would also recommend using the manufacturer's tool and run both the quick and the extended tests. Running chkdsk /r from the cmd will also check your drive for any unreadable sectors and report them. Post the S.M.A.R.T. status with the raw values here and we can give you a more detailed explanation of the drive's condition. 
Check your resource manager and see if anything else besides the OS Update utility is putting your system under higher load. Contact MS's support for more suggestions regarding the OS update problem. :)

Captain_WD.

I solved the problem, it finally updated more than 220 updates. as one of the guess posted on this post, I deleted all of updates which it installed before (was 12 in sum) and it fixed non-ending update loop glitch! :)) though it took at least 50 minutes to start installing them (I was giving up at that moment :D ) I will still run diagnostic test just in case :)) and post it here

~snip~

Hey, I'm happy to hear you've resolved it! Good Job! It must have been a corrupted update file or something. Do post the results here so you can be on the safe side. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/