Dual Monitor resets whole desktop if one screen turned off

Tech Enthusiast

Hello there,

Before yesterday I just had two monitors run via "extend screen". If i would power down one monitor it was simply "off". Nothing changed on my screen or the second monitor for that matter. Now with the new Samsung SD850 it is a totally differend (and annoying) story.

If i power down the OTHER monitor all behaves like it used to. If i power down the SD850 my second Monitor flickers, resets my desktop and jumps into "one screen mode". My two browser windows that usually sit on each screen now all show on one monitor. This also sometimes screws with open windows on either monitor and i have to restart them to show up properly again. If i turn it back on i have to manually place all open windows / browsers / apps back.

I am sure this behavior is "wanted" by some, but i just want the OLD behavior back. Is there a toggle, or a way to get that back?

It is acting like if i unplug the monitor from my PC every time i simply turn off the screen. Sometimes i really just want to turn off one screen to watch a movie, without having to switch around all my stuff again afterwards. Maybe a cable thing? It is connected via displayport. The old monitor i replaced was connected via DVI. 

It's a displayport thing.

When you unplug it Windows sees it as removed and reverts your desktop to one screen.

|CPU| i7 4770K @ 4.4GHz |Motherboard| Asus Z87 MAXIMUS VI HERO |RAM| Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1866MHz |GPU| EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB

|HD| 256GB SSD 850 PRO |Sound| Creative Sound Blaster Z High Performance |Case| NZXT Phantom 410 |OS| Windows 10 x64

Can i disable that somehow?

Id hate to have to buy another cable just for "that". But could do that obviously.