PC Won't boot...Into Windows or BIOS

I recently went to turn on my PC and the worst thing happens, I can't boot into Winows or even the BIOS. I have an Asus Z97 Pro WiFi MOBO, 8GB of standard RAM, GTX 960 FTW Edition GPU, i5 4440 CPU with CoolerMaster heatsink on it and a 1TB Western Digital HDD. I used the computer maybe 4 days ago and it worked perfectly fine, I went to boot it up today and it just hangs at the "Press Del or F2 to enter BIOS" screen. All fans are up and running, GPU fans are running spinning just fine. Power, HDD and other connectors are plugged in correctly, I reseated the RAM a couple times as well as the GPU and still nothing. Not being able to get into the BIOS is very frustrasting. I am getting the error code of 99 on the QCODE display which in the manual refers to "Super IO Initialization" I could not find much GOOD information on this code and am wondering has had a similar problem or advice they can give me.

If you're not getting any beep codes, then you may want to try reseating the CPU. Remove the CPU cooler, lift the retention arm, lift the CPU out of the socket, place it in the socket with no force and give it a little wiggle to make sure it's in there properly. Lower the hold down plate, then the retention arm. Put the CPU cooler back on and see if it works. Sometimes, it can be the CPU multiple times, like Luke encountered in the Compensator Build Log.

"Not breaking it or making it worse is key."

"Bad choices make good stories."

Go through and make sure all your connectors to you fans and power supply is plugged in correctly. Make sure nothing is touching the motherboard. (Check fans too)

Make sure specific components haven't gone bad. Try only using one ram stick at a time. then try integrated or different graphics. If none of that works, try resetting bios. If not, come back here.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

I assume hitting F2 doesn't help... does it?

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

I assume hitting F2 doesn't help... does it?

Yea hitting F2 does nothing lol Its very frustrating considering I just used it not even 4 days ago and it was running just fine.

Make sure specific components haven't gone bad. Try only using one ram stick at a time. then try integrated or different graphics. If none of that works, try resetting bios. If not, come back here.

I tried booting with only one stick of RAM and still nothing. I will try Integrated graphics again though, just as a safe measure. How would I reset BIOS if I can't boot into it also. I don't see a switch on the MOBO.

If you're not getting any beep codes, then you may want to try reseating the CPU. Remove the CPU cooler, lift the retention arm, lift the CPU out of the socket, place it in the socket with no force and give it a little wiggle to make sure it's in there properly. Lower the hold down plate, then the retention arm. Put the CPU cooler back on and see if it works. Sometimes, it can be the CPU multiple times, like Luke encountered in the Compensator Build Log.

Thank you for the response. I will try this method and report back here. I hope my MOBO hasn't gone bad as I have no warranty on it since it was bought used from a friend.

I tried booting with only one stick of RAM and still nothing. I will try Integrated graphics again though, just as a safe measure. How would I reset BIOS if I can't boot into it also. I don't see a switch on the MOBO.

To reset the BIOS on your board, you can use either the BIOS Flashback utility (maybe) or the Clear RTC memory jumper, explained on pages 2-12, and 1-24 of your manual, respectively. http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/Z97-PRO/E9062_Z97-PRO.pdf

So thanks for reading guys, if this post sucked, I'm not sure what you can do, but if you liked it, go 'head and hit that like button, or maybe add me as a friend. Otherwise, go subscribe to LinusTechTips on YouTube, follow them on Twitch, follow @LinusTech on Twitter, and support them by using their affiliate code on Amazon, buying a cool T-shirt, or supporting them directly on this community forum.

To reset the BIOS on your board, you can use either the BIOS Flashback utility (maybe) or the Clear RTC memory jumper, explained on pages 2-12, and 1-24 of your manual, respectively. http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/Z97-PRO/E9062_Z97-PRO.pdf

I cleared the RTC Memory and still nothing, just a hang. My Boot Device LED is on and steady red. The QCode is now displaying A2 after re-seating the CPU and running off of integrated graphics. And the RAM modules have been taken out and re-seated. 

There are two main ways of doing this on a motherboard without jumpers. 

1)If it has a Clear Bios jumper (You would find this on the manufacturer schematic), follow the instructions for clearing the bios.

2) If not, you can always remove the button cell battery and wait for 30-60 seconds for all the capacitors to drain. This should reset your bios. Let me know if you are still having problems after this.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

There are two main ways of doing this on a motherboard without jumpers. 

1)If it has a Clear Bios jumper (You would find this on the manufacturer schematic), follow the instructions for clearing the bios.

2) If not, you can always remove the button cell battery and wait for 30-60 seconds for all the capacitors to drain. This should reset your bios. Let me know if you are still having problems after this.

It does have a clear BIOS jumper and it seems that he has tried this... I would agree to you saying that he should take out the battery, as it says in one of the notes on pg. 1-24 of the manual.

So thanks for reading guys, if this post sucked, I'm not sure what you can do, but if you liked it, go 'head and hit that like button, or maybe add me as a friend. Otherwise, go subscribe to LinusTechTips on YouTube, follow them on Twitch, follow @LinusTech on Twitter, and support them by using their affiliate code on Amazon, buying a cool T-shirt, or supporting them directly on this community forum.

I cleared the RTC Memory and still nothing, just a hang. My Boot Device LED is on and steady red. The QCode is now displaying A2 after re-seating the CPU and running off of integrated graphics. And the RAM modules have been taken out and re-seated. 

According to a post on another forum, you might consider disconnecting all of your drives, and starting up then as this might fix the IDE Detect error (A2).

Edited by nickl

It does have a clear BIOS jumper and it seems that he has tried this... I would agree to you saying that he should take out the battery, as it says in one of the notes on pg. 1-24 of the manual.

After taking the CMOS battery out I still received the A2 Code and the Boot Device LED is still on as well.

According to a post on another forum, you might consider disconnecting all of your drives, and starting up then as this might fix the IDE Detect error (A2).

So disconnect all of the drives completely and start the system with no drives plugged in? Or unplug all then re-plug them all back in then try?

After taking the CMOS battery out I still received the A2 Code and the Boot Device LED is still on as well.

So disconnect all of the drives completely and start the system with no drives plugged in? Or unplug all then re-plug them all back in then try?

I would say, start it up with only what you need for it to start, and see what happens, so yes, disconnect all of your drives.

One thing that I just remembered that happened to my father's computer is that he had a broken phone plugged in via USB into one of the monitors. It had the same exact problems as what you are describing.

Remove EVERY USB device including keyboard and mouse when starting up, even from monitors, especially if it is a USB drive or SD card reader. 

One thing that I just remembered that happened to my father's computer is that he had a broken phone plugged in via USB into one of the monitors. It had the same exact problems as what you are describing.

Remove EVERY USB device including keyboard and mouse when starting up, even from monitors, especially if it is a USB drive or SD card reader. 

Ok thank you. I will try this and report back soon. Thanks for all the support guys.

Ok thank you. I will try this and report back soon. Thanks for all the support guys.

Have you had a chance to try yet?