GPU SLI Compatibility

Woogiekamikaze
Go to solution Solved by Hman1250,

As long as they're both 970's, you're fine. Linus did an SLI 960 compared to a G1 970 and used a Strix 960 and a G1 Gaming 960 in SLI.

I already have a EVGA 970 SSC and was wondering if I could SLI it with a different card. Hear me out:

My current card is: 04G-P4-2975-KR

New card is: 04G-P4-3975

It would appear as though my card has been discontinued for the newer version. They are both exactly the same(I think) except for the rear ports. My card has one Display Port, one HDMI, one DVI-I, one DVI-D, the other card has three Display Port, One HDMI, and one DVI-x (I'm not sure which one). 

So the question once again, can these two cards SLI or am I going to need to try and get a second one of my own? 

What is your motherboard?

From the perspective you're asking, they're still compatible with each other for SLI.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

As long as they're both 970's, you're fine. Linus did an SLI 960 compared to a G1 970 and used a Strix 960 and a G1 Gaming 960 in SLI.

As long as they're both 970's, you're fine

If the VRAM count was different, then they wouldn't work together without some "voodoo magic."

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

What is your motherboard?

From the perspective you're asking, they're still compatible with each other for SLI.

Some Foxcon one. I don't currently have a SLI compatible board, though here in the next few months I plan on upgrading and am preparing it in advance to make sure all my parts work well. 

If the VRAM count was different, then they wouldn't work together without some "voodoo magic."

Since the 960, release, there were only 2GB cards. As well that 970 has 3.5GB if VRAM, but that's something I probably shouldd have mentioned