[HELP] Computer Broke After Cleaning!

Husky

Hi,

So I have a Lenovo A700 AIO and I tried to clean the Thermal Paste, but now it won't boot.

I took the coolers off the CPU and GPU and then used Nail Polish Remover (the only thing I had) to remove the really old very HARD paste that were on the exposed CPU and GPU dies. I gently scrubbed using patience until it eventually came off. There were no scratches or chips in the dies.

I put new Thermal Paste on by putting a small dot on the dies and then putting the heatsinks back on. I put the machine back together and put it on my desk.

I plugged it in and noticed the GPU fan turned on immediately, but the system wasn't turned on. The GPU fan stopped after a few seconds. I then pressed the power button to turn on my PC but the fans ramped to almost full speed and stayed there, with no POST. After a few unplugs and replugs, the computer turned on and POSTed. After that it tried to boot Windows but died just before the bootloader actually loaded. After a few unplugs and replugs I got it to POST again and I tried to get in to the BIOS, but it died before I could get there.

Here's the weird part: After unplugging the GPU fan, the systen POSTed every time! Except now with the fan unplugged, it first POSTed and I saw the Lenovo logo as usual, and then after the Lenovo logo, I see an American Megatrends BIOS! I know that my Lenovo's BIOS is powered by American Megatrends but it has never POSTed to the American Megatrends screen. So somethings horribly wrong here. It also says "System fan failiure" during POST (because I unplugged the GPU fan).

I don't really know what to do right now. I've tried cleaning off the Thermal Paste and reapplying it but that didn't work. There was no part in applying the Thermal Paste that felt iffy and no part that I felt like I broke something because I was careful. The only things other than applying Thermal Paste was my Dad blowing out the heatsinks (with his breath) and him dropping the rubber end of a screw driver on the board.

Any help will be appreciated!

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

Thermal paste, if applied improperly will not affect whether or not a computer will turn on. But there could be a chance if you used a thermal paste like AC5 that is conductive, you could have shorted something on the board or the cpu. But that is highly unlikely.

Just make sure all your cables are correctly connected. 4-pin/8-pin near the cpu. gpus with correct cables etc

-SNIP-

I would double check all your connections to make sure you didn't accidental hit a connector on a drive or anything that could case a bad connection first. 

-SNIP-

AS5 is non-conductive paste even though it does contain silver in the compound.

I would double check all your connections to make sure you didn't accidental hit a connector on a drive or anything that could case a bad connection first.

AS5 is non-conductive paste even though it does contain silver in the compound.

I used some Cooler Master white Thermal Paste. I'm sure it's non conductive. There aren't any connectors that are loose. The motherboard resembles a laptop board.

I think my system is toast... Anyway it's time for an upgrade! This CRAPovo has lasted me 6 years somehow.

Workstation:

Mobile Workstation:

I used some Cooler Master white Thermal Paste. I'm sure it's non conductive. There aren't any connectors that are loose. The motherboard resembles a laptop board.

I think my system is toast... Anyway it's time for an upgrade! This CRAPovo has lasted me 6 years somehow.

Hmm hard to say but if nothing was damaged it's odd why that is occurring, could you have accidentally knock off some capacitors around the CPU or GPU die since most have some them right beside it.

Make sure that all your connectors are plugged in securely. Try using the built in graphics on the motherboard to pinpoint if your GPU is the problem. If your GPU is okay then I would bet that its a problem with the motherboard. Maybe the nail polish remover or your own static electricity shorted something out? 

i5 4690k | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Swiftech H240-X | MSI Z97s SLI Krait Edition | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb ( 2x4gb ) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 850EVO 250gb SSD & WD Caviar Blue 1tb HDD | Fractal Design Define R5

Make sure that all your connectors are plugged in securely. Try using the built in graphics on the motherboard to pinpoint if your GPU is the problem. If your GPU is okay then I would bet that its a problem with the motherboard. Maybe the nail polish remover or your own static electricity shorted something out?

My Dad touched something and said it shocked him, which is worrying me. This motherboard doesn't have an iGPU. All the connectors have been reseated, RAM has been reseated etc...

Workstation:

Mobile Workstation:

My Dad touched something and said it shocked him, which is worrying me. This motherboard doesn't have an iGPU. All the connectors have been reseated, RAM has been reseated etc...

If nothing seems to fix it then that could be it. I don't think there's any way to fix a shorted out motherboard. You can get a replacement if your motherboard is still under warranty.

i5 4690k | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Swiftech H240-X | MSI Z97s SLI Krait Edition | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb ( 2x4gb ) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 850EVO 250gb SSD & WD Caviar Blue 1tb HDD | Fractal Design Define R5

The computer is toast guys THANKS for all your help I really appreciated it!

Workstation:

Mobile Workstation:

GUYS ITS ALIVE ITS BACK UP AND RUNNING THE GPU FAN WAS PLUGGED IN TO THE WRONG HEADER!!!

Workstation:

Mobile Workstation: