Is there any true dust free case out there?

Guest Gabbs

So I see tons of cases with meshes, filters for the coolers, etc., but there are still a lot of openings, holes, slots and whatnot that still let dust in.

Is there anything out there that comes dust free? Or the only way is to DIY?

Thanks.

not possible

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

So I see tons of cases with meshes, filters for the coolers and what not, but there are still a lot of openings, holes, slots and whatnot that still let dust in.

Thanks.

There's really no way to completely dust proof a case short of vacuum-sealing it.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

that's impossible

how do you imagine the air to get inside then?

i have filters on all my intake fans and things get dusty in 3-4 months

So I see tons of cases with meshes, filters for the coolers, etc., but there are still a lot of openings, holes, slots and whatnot that still let dust in.

Thanks.

Its impossible, unless your case is inside of a vaccum lol.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

by the nature of airflow, dust free is impossible unless you are working in a dust-free environment. You can reduce the amount of dust in a case by how you set up your air pressures. A positive air pressure in a case (more fans blowing in than out) will reduce the amount of dust gathering there.

i5 4670k @4.2ghz / MSI Z87 G45 / EVGA GTX 960 SSC / Samsung  840 EVo SSD / WD Green 1tb HDD / Corsair H75 / Corsair Obsidian 750D / Corsair CS750M

that's impossible

how do you imagine the air to get inside then?

i have filters on all my intake fans and things get dusty in 3-4 months

I was hoping someone made a stealed case with filters on the fans in order to limit the amount of dust that goes in.

All I see are cases with openings all over them.

by the nature of airflow, dust free is impossible unless you are working in a dust-free environment. You can reduce the amount of dust in a case by how you set up your air pressures. A positive air pressure in a case (more fans blowing in than out) will reduce the amount of dust gathering there.

If you want as little dust as possible have positive airflow and have a look at that mammoth case thingy from Silverstone.

Is positive airflow as effective as having the same in and out airflow?

Yeah I think this has been pretty much covered off but I'll add my comments too :)

Truly dust free is impossible, but you should be able to get close enough for all practical purposes by ensuring a positive pressure setup and having very good (fine) filters on your intakes.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

more so.  Consider if the pressure in your case is always higher than the room around, no air (and no dust) will enter except through where it is being drawn in (the filtered intakes).

If you have net 0 or worse yet negative pressure, air and dust will seep in through every tiny hole

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

mineral oil build. 

If you make a post contradicting mine that doesn't directly address my claims, or cites 'facts' without evidence, I'm probably not going to bother responding to it, because you probably didn't bother reading my post properly, and because life is too short. It doesn't mean I don't have an answer for you. It means I'm not dignifying you with a response. 

Positive airflow is more effective than having the same in and out. Also, really have a look at that case I said about, uses HEPA filters or whatever and look quite robust :P

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

mineral oil build. 

In theory, you've actually got a good point here :)

In practice though, I have to imagine a few things would be problematic:

• First of all, maintaining a system like that is a lot more hassle than just blowing dust out from time to time, so probably not worth it
  • Unless the system itself is sealed such that the only material that can enter or leave is the fluid in the liquid cooling loop, dust could still settle on the surface of the oil and eventually get mixed in an suspended in the liquid.
  • The fans/rads and all external components would still get dusty

Positive airflow is more effective than having the same in and out. Also, really have a look at that case I said about, uses HEPA filters or whatever and look quite robust :P

I'm looking at a review of that case right now. That thing truly is a mammoth :D

I don't know of any dustfree cases other than a few passively cooled ones that can be silicone-sealed. But there are enclosures where you can put the computer that keep it amazingly clean. They're really expensive and meant to be used in factories and facilities with a lot of dust and other particles in the air.

This barely relates but I once repaired a laptop in a bakery. It was friggin' filled with sugar powder. We got them a new laptop and installed it in a filtered and sealed workstation stand. The 32-bit Vista machine ended up costing them around 7000€ :D

you want more in than out. That reduces dust build up. Also, try and keep your case on a desk, not on the floor or near to it.

i5 4670k @4.2ghz / MSI Z87 G45 / EVGA GTX 960 SSC / Samsung  840 EVo SSD / WD Green 1tb HDD / Corsair H75 / Corsair Obsidian 750D / Corsair CS750M

you want more in than out. That reduces dust build up. Also, try and keep your case on a desk, not on the floor or near to it.

For science's sake I have to clarify something.  You are not setting it up to have more air flowing in than is leaving.  That would cause more and more air to build up in the case until it exploded.  What you are doing is having it setup so there are more fans (or more "fan power") pulling air in than there are blowing it out.  That will cause (only at first) more air to enter than is leaving, but it will quickly reach equilibrium due to the now higher pressure in the case (what you want) causing air to exit through the exhaust fans and other holes at the same rate it is being pulled in at.