Is there a general PC trouble shooting checklist

Sailordude9980

Good Evening

I am having a heck of a time trying to diagnose the issue(s) on my gaming PC. Rather than wasting your time with the back and forth of ,"Did you try this?",

is there a guide that you (Linus staff/group) use to assist in troubleshooting a PC?

I have found that most of the "system cleaners" are soaked with malware.

I am coming from the line of thinking of repairing my car.

I am handy with a PC, but I can't seem to pinpoint were the issues are, even in the logs :(

CCleaner + MalwareBytes? What kinds of issues?

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

A general checklist would take months to write and days to read through. "System cleaners" often contain viruses, unless you go with the well-known and good programs. (Ccleaner is good, there are many others I just can't think of right now) The logs are often useless to all but the most knowledgeable computer enthusiasts. You kinda just have to know which problems point to which areas of software. If you post whatever PC problems you're having I'll try to point you in the right direction! (And so will a ton of other people on the LTT forums)

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

System hang, choppy, frame rates in games drop and rise. It's hard to say exactly,

A general checklist would take months to write and days to read through. "System cleaners" often contain viruses, unless you go with the well-known and good programs. (Ccleaner is good, there are many others I just can't think of right now) The logs are often useless to all but the most knowledgeable computer enthusiasts. You kinda just have to know which problems point to which areas of software. If you post whatever PC problems you're having I'll try to point you in the right direction! (And so will a ton of other people on the LTT forums)

Understand, that is what I was getting at. If I didn't have an 18 month princess....rtc etc, I would write it myself and give to you guys to add :)

System hang, choppy, frame rates in games drop and rise. It's hard to say exactly,

You have an AMD FX-9370, choppy, inconsistent frame rates are to be expected in many games. As for system hang, how long and how often does this happen? That could be related to crap programs running in the background most likely.

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

it really depends on what the issue is.

if its a virus: virus scan > malwaybytes > adwcleaner > spybot s&d > ccleaner > combofix

general system slowness: delete user temp files > delete system temp files > ccleaner > check if anything is using excessive resources > kill background programs

hardware issue: clear cmos > check psu > check ram > check gpu > hope its not my cpu.

theres steps for everything.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Intel I7-6700 Unlocked / Asus Z170 Delux Motherboard / EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti / Crucial 256GB SSD X3 / 27" Asus ROG Swift Monitor x 3 / Windows 10 / Corsair h100i gtx/ TM 458 / TM shifter / Astro A50 Headset / Sound Blaster Z / DDR4 2133mhz 16GB DualMemory /Bucket of Chicken/Qnap 451 NAS