Mac Pro (2008)

AdoniasRadeon

Hi i have a 3.0ghz 8 core mac pro with 24GB of ddr2 memory and a gt 8800 nvidia card and 2tb hdd and a 256GB SSD i was wondering if i could put a gtx 980 or TI into the machine i don't know if it's possible or if OSX supports it but maybe theres a chance that the mac supports the card if i install windows??

Hello AdoniasRadeon ! :D

In my knowledge having an Mac pro even if its old and has the specs that you mentioned , you need to see if the OS of your Mac supports the latest Maxwell GPU architecture ,
I would recommend checking your motherboard specs , looking out for the pci e 2nd gen or the 3rd gen and if your cpu has the amount of lanes to support the gpu itself !

In my opinion try installing windows and installing the Nvidia software etc and see if your card "gt 8800" is outdated

You can bottleneck your CPU even if it has 8 Cores , all depends the lanes and architecture of your cpu and the PCI e Lane slot that you are wishing to install your new Maxwell GPU

Call Apple support.

My guess they would say Its not compatible!

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.