Ideas for a NAS?

XDroidie626

So I am looking at adding a NAS to my network but I am unsure on which way to go about it.

So I have a RPI that I can use, I will run Raspbian on it with a 1TB USB 3.0 drive.

I also have my Asus RT-N56U router which has 2 USB slots on it, which would be fine for backing up systems but I am unsure about streaming content to the TV.

I could also build a seperate PC, but the power draw maybe a bit high even with a single core build.

Ideas?

Thanks!

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using Raspberry Pi 2's all over for over a year now.  Have one set up as a headless file server/Usenet Box, with 2 external HD's hooked up to it, 7TB total, these are hooked up to a powered USB hub and then into the Pi.  Then I have other Pi's for each TV with Kodi in the form of OpenElec on them, and they just use the network location for Movies and TV.  If you're on a budget this is the absolute best way to go.  The only problem that I had to overcome was the fact that my house is not wired for ethernet.  1080p wouldn't stream over my wireless so I had to get a Ethernet Powerline Adapter for the Pi in my bedroom.

If you dont care about performance/speed  then the Pi is a great low power option.

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?