Videos in focus please?!!

Congy

Is it just me or does anyone get annoyed when the camera shots are in close up and there's like a tiny window of focus and the rest of the shot is blurry! Why can't the whole shot of the close up be in focus?

post-37791-0-54703700-1377352295.jpg

They do that for a reason. They want to put emphasis on one part of the product.

CPU: RYZEN 5 2600   Motherboard: MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC   Memory: CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 16GB 3200MHZ   Storage: TEAM GROUP MP33 1TB

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW   Case: COOLER MASTER NR200P   PSU: CORSAIR SF600   Mouse: G PRO WIRELESS   Keyboard: ANNE PRO 2

What part would that be? Half a blade of the fan? Don't get me wrong, I love Linus' content but I'm sure it could be done better with a lot more clarity though.

narrower aperture --> win.
The thing is, I think that the wide one is intended.
While I think it looks bad in a still, It looks ok in a video where the focus is being shifted.

Its a macro lens.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Its a macro lens.

Because that's not how macro lenses work

That is no excuse. You could place the product in a way that all of it is in focus at once.

That is no excuse. You could place the product in a way that all of it is in focus at once.

I personally don't mind it. I use to do some videography as a hobby and its something that is used a lot in product reviews/showcases.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

too much aperture i find it stupid and annoying as well 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Longer focal length lenses shot close up will result in very shallow DOF, you may even reach the minimum aperture (with a lot of lighting power) and still have a very narrow focal plane, this is why some stills photographers have to resort to a technique known as "focus stacking".

This may just be a limitation of the lens if shot at the minimum aperture, you could stand further back with an even longer focal length lens to fill the frame with the object and sufficiently compress the background, but I am guessing that the room isn't big enough.

Or perhaps this is the desired effect, which I don't think looks that bad, the person operating the camera appears to be pulling focus while panning/tilting, probably to highlight certain parts of the product.

http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2012/05/16/apertures-photography-cheat-sheet-when-to-go-small-and-when-to-go-wide/

Dunno if the same goes for videocameras, but I agree that it's annoying

Luckily it's not that often

I hope Mr. Linus and his team is watching but I prefer the narrow aperture. You can put emphasis on the subject and still have a clear close up shot! Thanks Salmiakbal for the link!

I hope Mr. Linus and his team is watching but I prefer the narrow aperture. You can put emphasis on the subject and still have a clear close up shot! Thanks Salmiakbal for the link!

I think you also have to take into consideration the super 35 sensor on the fs700, larger sensor = shallower DOF, there are limitations.