Replaceing Projector fans

johnmhigh
Go to solution Solved by GodSpoon,

Yes! They will just run at a constant speed unless you put resistors in 

You could try to just run the wires inside the headers though and tape them in case you want to reuse the fans someday, but I understand size constraints

But yes more than likely they will be fine as long as the voltage is high enough to turn them :P and if the other fans were loud and 7v isn't exactly that much so I think you will be fine

HI, so i got a projector the other week but the fans in it are stupid loud so i want to replace them.

Opening the projector up i found the fans only had 2 wires, a red and black (cant upload the pics as they are larger then 2MB!) 

If i bought some corsair or noctua fans i would have to cut the original fans our because they have been glued to the board are a tight squeeze to get to, so i would have to splice them.

But the new fans will have 3 wires on them i imagine, all the PC fans i have or have had have 3 wires.

Could i splice them and do away with the third wire, is this possible?

Thanks in advance!

You could try to just run the wires inside the headers though and tape them in case you want to reuse the fans someday, but I understand size constraints

But yes more than likely they will be fine as long as the voltage is high enough to turn them :P and if the other fans were loud and 7v isn't exactly that much so I think you will be fine

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/80mm-silverstone-fn81-low-noise-case-fan-2050rpm

will these fans be ok, i have no idea about voltages and stuff?

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/80mm-silverstone-fn81-low-noise-case-fan-2050rpm

will these fans be ok, i have no idea about voltages and stuff?

Those look great! Heres a quick explanation of pc fans overall

You should be alright though I wouldn't worry too much about it, ground to ground and hot to hot :P 

Let me know how it goes!

Ah, that helps alot, thanks for that.

ill get them ordered now and post results! i got a thermal sensor in the projector at the moment to seen the temps, so hopefully the new fans will be quiet and cooler!