Firestrike Score on 970

VSD2020

I've been overclocking my 970 (G1 from Gigabyte) and decided to try +180 on my core. It was stable on both valley and heaven and I believe +200 was as well. Afterburner logged my gpu clocks at 1600+ but my Firestrike score is barely above 10,000. The score doesn't change with or without the overclock. If I'm being stupid please forgive me - it's my first time overclocking. Thanks! :)

post-230996-0-54179500-1448354329_thumb.

post-230996-0-13224000-1448354373_thumb.

@VSD2020

That seems like a very low score for a +180 or +200 OC.  I almost hit 14k on the Graphics Score from a +150 or +175 (I have 2 OC profiles, forgot which I ran it on) OC.

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/4833714

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

That's low for a 5820k+970 combo I got like 11000 with my 970 and 4690k and it only scored Iike 8000 on physics but its not THAT bad I annihilated the gpu score tho

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/9017242

Edit 14200 on the graphics

@VSD2020

That seems like a very low score for a +180 or +200 OC.  I almost hit 14k on the Graphics Score from a +150 or +175 (I have 2 OC profiles, forgot which I ran it on) OC.

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/4833714

Yeah - It was weird since there was only a 10 point increase with the OC. I was getting beaten by other 970s at stock :/

That's low for a 5820k+970 combo I got like 11000 with my 970 and 4690k and it only scored Iike 8000 on physics but its not THAT bad I annihilated the gpu score tho

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/9017242

Edit 14200 on the graphics

Exactly - Other tests are all performing fine. It's just firestrike.

Yeah - It was weird since there was only a 10 point increase with the OC. I was getting beaten by other 970s at stock :/

Is it actually reaching those clock speeds though?  Gotta check.

To be honest mate, I get pretty low scores on my 980ti's as well, yet they are running at 1520-1530mhz on their own or 1480mhz in SLI. Compared to stock speeds the score barely changes :/

I mean it's not like the overclock isn't working because i see the fps increase in games. Weird...

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

Exactly - Other tests are all performing fine. It's just firestrike.

I wouldn't worry too much about Firestrike. I tried playing it once. Shitty mechanics and non existent character development. 2/10, would not recommend. If you're seeing improved performance in your games, that's all that matters.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Is the

Is it actually reaching those clock speeds though?  Gotta check.

Yeah, afterburner is recording speeds of over 1600

I wouldn't worry too much about Firestrike. I tried playing it once. Shitty mechanics and non existent character development. 2/10, would not recommend. If you're seeing improved performance in your games, that's all that matters.

Hahaha, if the improvement is there that is all that matters.

Its not even a bad score on second glance but tbh you wouldn't of even hit 10000 if you didn't have a 5820k (or a i7 made in the last few years) its your cpu pulling your gpu along the floor

To be honest mate, I get pretty low scores on my 980ti's as well, yet they are running at 1520-1530mhz on their own or 1480mhz in SLI. Compared to stock speeds the score barely changes :/

I mean it's not like the overclock isn't working because i see the fps increase in games. Weird...

But how do you compare against others? I am under average it seems on only firestrike whilst I maintain higher scores in other benchmarks.

That's a matter of opinion, I'm always trying to improve my firestrike score and some other people care about benchmarks as much as I do

But how do you compare against others? I am under average it seems on only firestrike whilst I maintain higher scores in other benchmarks.

My other benchmarks are fine, it's just firestrike. http://www.3dmark.com/fs/6540237

28k graphics score is just terrible... On that result i didn't have any CPU OC so that's fine, it's mainly the graphics score that is upsetting tbh.

That's a matter of opinion, I'm always trying to improve my firestrike score and some other people care about benchmarks as much as I do

It's a matter of opinion that improved performance in your game is more important than improvement benchmarks? TIL

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

in the benchmark in my link the oc was like 150 on the core 450 mem with my hof try that turn the voltage all the way up (mine only goes up 37mhz)

Its not even a bad score on second glance but tbh you wouldn't of even hit 10000 if you didn't have a 5820k (or a i7 made in the last few years) its your cpu pulling your gpu along the floor

What? You and I have i5's and we broke the 10k mark easily..

I've been overclocking my 970 (G1 from Gigabyte) and decided to try +180 on my core. It was stable on both valley and heaven and I believe +200 was as well. Afterburner logged my gpu clocks at 1600+ but my Firestrike score is barely above 10,000. The score doesn't change with or without the overclock. If I'm being stupid please forgive me - it's my first time overclocking. Thanks! :)

V Sync or G Sync enabled?

When I got my new G Sync monitor I was shocked to see my FS score drop but a huge amount. Took me a few hours to figure out G Sync was locking FPS to 60 (seems obvious now though), disabled GS and score returned to normal.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

When I got my new G Sync monitor I was shocked to see my FS score drop but a huge amount. Took me a few hours to figure out G Sync was locking FPS to 60 (seems obvious now though), disabled GS and score returned to normal.

Oh my god.... I do have G sync enabled haha. I really hope that was the reason for low score. Thing is my monitor is 165hz though, so it was capped at that fps rather than 60. Would it still be bottlenecking ?

Nothing - plain old benq monitor

My physics mark is high it seems but I think that is related to the cpu. My gpu is what's not 'performing'.

It's a matter of opinion that improved performance in your game is more important than improvement benchmarks? TIL

obviously games matter more that's what I meant is people do care about benchmarks you shouldnt just write them off

that's why I said his cpu was pulling his gpu and that's why he even managed to score 10,000 in the first place he probably wouldve got like 9500 if it wasn't for his beast of a cpu getting like double i5s physics scores

Clearly you don't understand what benchmark tests are and how to interpret them.

Did you perhaps put a frame cap with Afterburner? Are you sure your GPU isn't overheating/hitting power limit and throttling?

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

Clearly you don't understand what benchmark tests are and how to interpret them.

Did you perhaps put a frame cap with Afterburner? Are you sure your GPU isn't overheating/hitting power limit and throttling?

No, actually you've proven over and over again that you don't. Not sure why you want to go for round 3. You would think the 1st 2 times were already embarrassing for you.