Sandy Bridge CPU

Go to solution Solved by airdeano,

yeah any celeron G-series can work, just needs to pass POST.

where?, eBay for those $10-$25 processors

Hello y'all,

So I have a spare, never used motherboard (MSI Z68A-G43 (G3)) that I was thinking about getting a Sandy bridge CPU for it a little while ago just for fun, but only recently (I mean today) it went from thinking about to seriously considering. The reason? It is because my sisters' only desktop, an HP Pro 3500 MT series, just suffered from a catastrophic meltdown (PSU started smoking and died). And while I was thinking about getting a new PSU for it, I also remembered my MSI mobo and thought "why not upgrade it some?". Now the desktop apparently was supposed to come with an i5-3470 (according to the papers) but it actually came with a i3-3240, which I would like to use on the unused MSI board instead of the HP mobo. However, I need a Sandy Bridge CPU to flash the BIOS to allow the i3/Ivy Bridge to work.

My questions: where may I find a cheap Sandy Bridge to do the flash (beyond ebay) and should I just go for the cheapest CPU I can find? Or would it be even worth it to get the CPU to flash as well as the PSU?

Thanks, and as always, I appreciate any help!

(pssh, but who needs written thanks when a like button exists ;) )

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Thanks airdeano! Guess ebays gotta be the one (just had lots of bad experiences on that site)

Marked solved and thanks distributed. :)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

@Albatross Why not ring a few local PC shops up and ask if they've got a cpu in stock they could use to flash the board for you?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Thanks airdeano! Guess ebays gotta be the one (just had lots of bad experiences on that site)

Marked solved and thanks distributed. :)

As always, read the posting thoroughly. Buy from a well-known and highly rated vendor, and be wary of shipping and import costs (if applicable).

those quad 7's tho, gz Deano

capture%2024-Nov-2015%20at%2001.04%20AM%

GW2: Vettexl.9726

@Albatross Why not ring a few local PC shops up and ask if they've got a cpu in stock they could use to flash the board for you?

There are no local PC shops where I live or I would. I mean, not any like that. The only one worth going to just sells stuff like keyboards and ethernet cables, and stuff from the late 90s. :(