AMD vs Intel for DX12

Go to solution Solved by stconquest,

I edited the response out, I was wrong at first, check out the picture

The "average user bench" probably around 4,3 gHz considering some people don't overclock.

From the same site, I grabbed the top results from each... 5.2GHz on the 8350 and 4.0GHz on the 4460.  It seems you can push the 4460 some.  This shows around a 35% faster 8350 when using more than 4 cores in a program.  That is a decent amount still.  I have never personally tried boosting the base clock on a Haswell, so I can't say how easy or effective it is.  If I had a 4460 and needed the speed, I would try... provided I had the cooling:

UqWXLBS.png

Hello LTT and World,

I have a question about the AMD FX 8320 and Intel Core i5 4460.

I actually thinking that FX series CPU could regain it's name on DX12 as it use all availible cores for model rendering.

Parts for each CPU

CPU : AMD FX 8320

Mobo: Asrock 990FX Extreme3

Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo (Planning for OC)

CPU : Intel Core i5 4460

Mobo: Msi Z97 PC Mate

Cooler: Stock (as this chip as expensive as F*** on Malaysia)

Others: (Apply for every CPU)

RAM:Kingston HyperX 4GBx2

GPU:Sapphire Radeon R9 280X

SSD:Kingston V300 120GB

HDD:WD Caviar Blue 1TB

Case:Aerocool GT Advance

PSU:Corsair CX500M

Quote to answer.

When lives hand you lemon, suck them hard and post a selfie with it.

Hard to say at this point but most likely Intel if only considering currently release products.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

8350 is significantly more powerful than the 4460 (it's around 60% more powerful after overclock), but has no upgrade path. If you're on a budget, and doing heavy CPU workloads, the 8350 would be your choice.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Why are you choosing a Z97 for a 4460? Specific feature set?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Hello LTT and World,

The FX chips may be able to perform a little better under DX12, but that's only for games that can utilize more than 4 threads, otherwise an i5 is still going to beat them out.

Were you going to buy a new rig or something? What's your budget? and Country

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Hello LTT and World,

I have a question about the AMD FX 8320 and Intel Core i5 4460.

I actually thinking that FX series CPU could regain it's name on DX12 as it use all availible cores for model rendering.

Parts for each CPU

CPU : AMD FX 8320

Mobo: Asrock 990FX Extreme3

Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo (Planning for OC)

CPU : Intel Core i5 4460

Mobo: Msi Z97 PC Mate

Cooler: Stock (as this chip as expensive as F*** on Malaysia)

Others: (Apply for every CPU)

RAM:Kingston HyperX 4GBx2

GPU:Sapphire Radeon R9 280X

SSD:Kingston V300 120GB

HDD:WD Caviar Blue 1TB

Case:Aerocool GT Advance

PSU:Corsair CX500M

Quote to answer.

Nope..ipc is too slow for it to ever catchup.

8350 is significantly more powerful than the 4460 (it's around 60% more powerful after overclock), but has no upgrade path. If you're on a budget, and doing heavy CPU workloads, the 8350 would be your choice.

Here's an issue: You said it's 60% more powerful after an overclock. How much of an overclock? 50MHz, 100MHz? It's too generic. Furthermore, depending on the number of threads, the 4460 will beat the 8350.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Here's an issue: You said it's 60% more powerful after an overclock. How much of an overclock? 50MHz, 100MHz? It's too generic. Furthermore, depending on the number of threads, the 4460 will beat the 8350.

I used userbenchmark.com to get that number, so it's an "average" overclock. EDIT: maybe I'm wrong, it's a high overclock score, doesn't matter much though, 50% is still a pretty damn big difference

Also, the 4460 is only 11% more powerful when using 4 threads.

U7T2F4Q.png

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

I used userbenchmark.com to get that number, so it's an "average" overclock.

So....4.2GHz? 4.4GHz?

So....4.2GHz? 4.4GHz?

The "average user bench" probably around 4,3 gHz considering some people don't overclock.

From the same site, I grabbed the top results from each... 5.2GHz on the 8350 and 4.0GHz on the 4460.  It seems you can push the 4460 some.  This shows around a 35% faster 8350 when using more than 4 cores in a program.  That is a decent amount still.  I have never personally tried boosting the base clock on a Haswell, so I can't say how easy or effective it is.  If I had a 4460 and needed the speed, I would try... provided I had the cooling:

UqWXLBS.png