file/hard drive setup

Nicknight94

hey guys i just recently built my first pc, and am having some trouble with how to set it up. 

the system specs

asrock extreme 3 motherboard, am3+ quadcore processor, 16 gigs ddr3 ram 

120 gig ssd 500 gig ssd 3tb hdd. 

now the issue im having is im trying to set it up to were the smaller 120 gig ssd is the boot drive, the 500 ssd has all the programs on it, and the 3 tb drive has all of my music, documents, videos, etc. i've tried going when i first set the system up, (im useing windows 7 by the way) it was default set to IDE. as IDE it showed only the two ssd's and not the 3tb hdd. well i went with it thinking i had to format the 3tb. as i tried getting everything setup it was only allowing me to make copy's of the files onto the 500 gig ssd, and not actualy move it to that drive. qute quickly the 120 gig ssd became full. 

so i went back to the bios and changed the setting to ACHI ( i think thats what its called). similar story. 

next i tried raid. now it was allowing me to see the 3tb drive, but not allow me to use or see the 120 gig ssd. otherwise same story. the system just wont allow the actual files to be moved from one drive onto another and run from that drive. 

any help would be apreciated.

hey guys i just recently built my first pc, and am having some trouble with how to set it up. 

the system specs

asrock extreme 3 motherboard, am3+ quadcore processor, 16 gigs ddr3 ram 

120 gig ssd 500 gig ssd 3tb hdd. 

now the issue im having is im trying to set it up to were the smaller 120 gig ssd is the boot drive, the 500 ssd has all the programs on it, and the 3 tb drive has all of my music, documents, videos, etc. i've tried going when i first set the system up, (im useing windows 7 by the way) it was default set to IDE. as IDE it showed only the two ssd's and not the 3tb hdd. well i went with it thinking i had to format the 3tb. as i tried getting everything setup it was only allowing me to make copy's of the files onto the 500 gig ssd, and not actualy move it to that drive. qute quickly the 120 gig ssd became full. 

so i went back to the bios and changed the setting to ACHI ( i think thats what its called). similar story. 

next i tried raid. now it was allowing me to see the 3tb drive, but not allow me to use or see the 120 gig ssd. otherwise same story. the system just wont allow the actual files to be moved from one drive onto another and run from that drive. 

any help would be apreciated.

Is there a reason you want the 120 to be your primary boot and the 500 as your programs?

Personally i would make the 500gb your boot drive, remove the 120 and use the 3tb for storage.

That being said, you can make the 120 and 500gb drives all 1 drive in windows and use the 3tb for storage but i do not suggest it as you wont be able to use raid and if you lose one drive you have lost the whole system.

Intel Core i7-6700k | 2 X Gigabyte 4GB GTX 970 Overclocked Edition | 16GB (4X4GB) DDR4 2133MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | MasterCase Pro 5

ASUS Z170 Deluxe Motherboard | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + Seagate 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H80i GT | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Corsair HX850i

From what I understand, you are unable to use your 3TB HDD? if so start Disk Management and format the 3TB for NTFS.

█ 

at the moment all i theoretically can use is the 500 and the 3 tb. the issue i guess im trying to say is the hard drive that has the os on it keeps getting filled up, i cant figure out how to move the programs, not copy, move the actual files onto the other drive. for example, say i download itunes, and i want to have it on the 3 tb drive, not the main os drive all i seem to be able to is copy it, but the system wont allow me to remove it from the os drive 

at the moment all i theoretically can use is the 500 and the 3 tb. the issue i guess im trying to say is the hard drive that has the os on it keeps getting filled up, i cant figure out how to move the programs, not copy, move the actual files onto the other drive. for example, say i download itunes, and i want to have it on the 3 tb drive, not the main os drive all i seem to be able to is copy it, but the system wont allow me to remove it from the os drive 

I would just remove the 120GB drive and use the 500. Thats a lot of space for just programs and an OS if you ask me. Thats my personal opinion.

Intel Core i7-6700k | 2 X Gigabyte 4GB GTX 970 Overclocked Edition | 16GB (4X4GB) DDR4 2133MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | MasterCase Pro 5

ASUS Z170 Deluxe Motherboard | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + Seagate 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H80i GT | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Corsair HX850i

all the drives i have were ones i had lying around. my idea was the more storage the better.

all the drives i have were ones i had lying around. my idea was the more storage the better.

Most cases that would be correct. I like more storage, but it is a PITA to get programs off one hard drive to another and have them automatically installed to there. Plus you can turn that 120gb SSD into a external hard drive so you have extra storage and a backup plan for small files

EDIT: also can you please quote me so i know you are responding? Press the QUOTE button under my post.

Most cases that would be correct. I like more storage, but it is a PITA to get programs off one hard drive to another and have them automatically installed to there. Plus you can turn that 120gb SSD into a external hard drive so you have extra storage and a backup plan for small files

EDIT: also can you please quote me so i know you are responding? Press the QUOTE button under my post.

ok, say i remove the 120 gig, i'm still wondering how to get the programs like itunes onto the bigger drive

ok, say i remove the 120 gig, i'm still wondering how to get the programs like itunes onto the bigger drive

Clone your 120 to the 500 and it will be an exact copy. remove the 120 and you will be golden

Clone your 120 to the 500 and it will be an exact copy. remove the 120 and you will be golden

i said previously that at the moment i cant see the 120 gig with the system in Raid mode. right now everything is on the 500 gig ssd. 

i said previously that at the moment i cant see the 120 gig with the system in Raid mode. right now everything is on the 500 gig ssd. 

then personally i would remove the 120. Can you see it in Computer Management on windows?

then personally i would remove the 120. Can you see it in Computer Management on windows?

as soon as i switched the software to Raid, i only saw the two bigger drives in both the bios and computer management. in computer management i see the 500 gig as the main drive, then i see 2 tb of the 3tb as usable. and one tb unalocated but it wont let me format that

as soon as i switched the software to Raid, i only saw the two bigger drives in both the bios and computer management. in computer management i see the 500 gig as the main drive, then i see 2 tb of the 3tb as usable. and one tb unalocated but it wont let me format that

that is weird. I would stay away from raid if thats how its reacting to it.

that is weird. I would stay away from raid if thats how its reacting to it.

well thats the only way the three tb drive showed up under computer management was Raid