Mixing different RAM sizes

Go to solution Solved by tbroadwater2010,

I work on Adobe After Effects and Adobe Premiere and even 3D Softwares... AE itself sometimes takes up to 10GBs of RAM.. and Chrome usually takes about 4 or even 5GBs "I do leave a lot of tabs open"

so 32GBs is a must for me now... not sure though which path to take...

I'll check first if I can sell the sticks that I have... If I was able to find someone to buy them.. i'll definitely go with the 8x4 kit.. otherwise.. I'll just buy another 4x4 one...

I have 750 watt PS... and it's powering a GTX 980, and a 5820K

Your power should be sifficient.

If you can afford it, get the 4X8 kit and just add it to your system. thats my suggestion if you can afford it. that will give you 48GB ram. like i said before, MOH POWAH

Ok, 

So, I have an MSI X99A Gaming 7 (MS-7885) motherboard.. I currently have "F4-2400C15Q-16GRR" which is a 4x4gb kit...

I am upgrading to 32gb.. so I'm buying another one..

AFAIK, mixing and matching ram is not good, so I've found the same ram, exactly the same, same specs, same everything.. it's basically the same one but a 2x8.. I was thinking that I could buy a 2x8 kit instead just to keep some free space for more ability to upgrade in the future..

4x4 : http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-2400c15q-16grr

8x2 : http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-2400c15d-16grr

is it ok to use the 8x2 ?

and grammer gods, sorry it's not my main language..

If you put them in the right channels this should work. (I'm not 100% sure so wait until someone can confirm)

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

Ok, 

So, I have an MSI X99A Gaming 7 (MS-7885) motherboard.. I currently have "F4-2400C15Q-16GRR" which is a 4x4gb kit...

I am upgrading to 32gb.. so I'm buying another one..

AFAIK, mixing and matching ram is not good, so I've found the same ram, exactly the same, same specs, same everything.. it's basically the same one but a 2x8.. I was thinking that I could buy a 2x8 kit instead just to keep some free space for more ability to upgrade in the future..

4x4 : http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-2400c15q-16grr

8x2 : http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-2400c15d-16grr

is it ok to use the 8x2 ?

and grammer gods, sorry it's not my main language..

You can use it, just make sure the two 8GB RAM sticks are in the same slot colors. The RAM has to match its partner. So 4GB has to match 4GB, 8GB has to match 8GB

Intel Core i7-6700k | 2 X Gigabyte 4GB GTX 970 Overclocked Edition | 16GB (4X4GB) DDR4 2133MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | MasterCase Pro 5

ASUS Z170 Deluxe Motherboard | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + Seagate 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H80i GT | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Corsair HX850i

As long as the speeds match it should be fine.

Speeds don't have to match. The computer will just slow down the faster ram to match the slower ram.

Latency, voltage and speed match, that's according to the specs posted on their website...

You can use it, just make sure the two 8GB RAM sticks are in the same slot colors. The RAM has to match its partner. So 4GB has to match 4GB, 8GB has to match 8GB

If you put them in the right channels this should work. (I'm not 100% sure so wait until someone can confirm)

Speeds don't have to match. The computer will just slow down the faster ram to match the slower ram.

Okay, so I just checked with the retailers here...

they're selling the gskill 8x2 kit for 2000egp which is like 250 usd.. that's 150 dollars more than their actual price now... certainly not buying them

what do you guys think about this

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-2400MHz-PC4-19200-CMK32GX4M4A2400C14/dp/B00OTJZNI2/

this is a 8x4 kit... 32 gb ddr4.. 2400mhz... I can sell the ones that i have and buy this one..

and it's compatible with MSI X99A Gaming 7 moba, am i right ?

Okay, so I just checked with the retailers here...

they're selling the gskill 8x2 kit for 2000egp which is like 250 usd.. that's 150 dollars more than their actual price now... certainly not buying them

what do you guys think about this

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-2400MHz-PC4-19200-CMK32GX4M4A2400C14/dp/B00OTJZNI2/

this is a 8x4 kit... 32 gb ddr4.. 2400mhz... I can sell the ones that i have and buy this one..

and it's compatible with MSI X99A Gaming 7 moba, am i right ?

Yes to that. It looks like your MOBO can handle up to 8 sticks of ram. I would stick with the 4 you have and add the new 4 as well for MO POWAH!

Intel Core i7-6700k | 2 X Gigabyte 4GB GTX 970 Overclocked Edition | 16GB (4X4GB) DDR4 2133MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | MasterCase Pro 5

ASUS Z170 Deluxe Motherboard | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + Seagate 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H80i GT | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Corsair HX850i

Yes to that. It looks like your MOBO can handle up to 8 sticks of ram. I would stick with the 4 you have and add the new 4 as well for MO POWAH!

In both ways, I'm not buying from the retailers here in my country.. the things is like 2.5x its price on amazon

so, I have two choices, either getting another kit of the memory that i have, and that would fill all the 8 memory slots in the mobo...

or buying Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) and selling the 4x4 kit that i have, and that would leave 4 more free slots that i can use in the future..

what do you think ?

In both ways, I'm not buying from the retailers here in my country.. the things is like 2.5x its price on amazon

so, I have two choices, either getting another kit of the memory that i have, and that would fill all the 8 memory slots in the mobo...

or buying Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) and selling the 4x4 kit that i have, and that would leave 4 more free slots that i can use in the future..

what do you think ?

Its up to your needs. You can do both. I would definitely upgrade if you wanting to do that. Its been proven by linus that the amount of ram you have doesnt make much difference in gaming scenarios but if you use your ram a lot, even if its virual OS' or you like haveing more than 5 tabs in chrome open at once (funny huh?) then more ram can only help!

Just make sure you PS is not going to cut out on you, but it shouldnt.

Its up to your needs. You can do both. I would definitely upgrade if you wanting to do that. Its been proven by linus that the amount of ram you have doesnt make much difference in gaming scenarios but if you use your ram a lot, even if its virual OS' or you like haveing more than 5 tabs in chrome open at once (funny huh?) then more ram can only help!

Just make sure you PS is not going to cut out on you, but it shouldnt.

I work on Adobe After Effects and Adobe Premiere and even 3D Softwares... AE itself sometimes takes up to 10GBs of RAM.. and Chrome usually takes about 4 or even 5GBs "I do leave a lot of tabs open"

I'll check first if I can sell the sticks that I have... If I was able to find someone to buy them.. i'll definitely go with the 8x4 kit.. otherwise.. I'll just buy another 4x4 one...

If you can afford it, get the 4X8 kit and just add it to your system. thats my suggestion if you can afford it. that will give you 48GB ram. like i said before, MOH POWAH

hmmmmmm, that sounds nice...

GIMME MORE POWAAAAAAAAAAH...

they are on newegg for $184.99... I haven't tried buying from newegg before though... are they reliable ?

hmmmmmm, that sounds nice...

GIMME MORE POWAAAAAAAAAAH...

they are on newegg for $184.99... I haven't tried buying from newegg before though... are they reliable ?

well to give you an example of how reliable newegg is. I have built my full system, and 3 others COMPLETELY from newegg.

I also purchase for my business, using newegg or neweggbusiness.

So yeah reliable is more of an understatement. they are fantastic!

well to give you an example of how reliable newegg is. I have built my full system, and 3 others COMPLETELY from newegg.

I also purchase for my business, using newegg or neweggbusiness.

So yeah reliable is more of an understatement. they are fantastic!

that's sound pretty good...

I'm gonna go ahead and buy the " G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) "

and install them with the " G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) " one that i have here...

both of them are quad channel kits, and they are identical in specs...

thank you very much for your fast replies...

that's sound pretty good...

I'm gonna go ahead and buy the " G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) "

and install them with the " G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) " one that i have here...

both of them are quad channel kits, and they are identical in specs...

thank you very much for your fast replies...

Thats what we are here for! If you need us, we are here!

that sounds like a slogan of a super hero or something.. lol  :lol:

anyway, thanks again very much.. i really appreciate your help

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, Just received the RAM today... annnNNNND BOOM SHAKA LAKA

Thanks again for your help (y)

post-286985-0-59555700-1450101530_thumb.