Just got a 144Hz monitor, all videos are unbearable to watch! Help! :'(

Alright guys, this is really starting to drive me nuts. I'll keep the post short and sweet so it isn't too dreadful to read.

I purchased a GTX 970, 4690k, and a 144hz monitor.

I have no screen tearing but I do have screen stuttering like you wouldn't believe.

When watching videos the image sort of shimmers across the screen as images move and it is incredibly painful to watch a full video, it even happens in games as well.

I have this issue with lightboost on or off so that leads me to believe there is something else going on.

I have passed the ufotest with flying colors but yet this obnoxious stutter still persists in every video/game I play.

I overclocked my CPU to try and see if my GPU was being bottlenecked or something, still no luck....

All temps are fine.

TL;DR
GTX 970, 4690k @ 4.6, 144Hz monitor
Video/Image stutter in every application.
Temps are fine.
No idea how to solve this problem.

Here are two examples,
http://sendvid.com/l3icw2hy
https://sendvid.com/9yvgfvbc

Both videos showed no stuttering to me. What monitor? What mode of connecting are you using, DP/DVI/VGA(god forbid)? What is the refresh rate in your OS's screen resolution?...you will need to check the advanced settings to know.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Take a video with your phone and report back. Also, which monitor it is would be helpful.

Video/Image stutter in every application.

Try recording your physical screen with a camera so we can get a better idea of the problem.

That first link looks fine, the second one does stutter, but it doesn't really show much. We need to see it happening on your screen.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

Acer GN246HL

When I played the video back to record it with fraps it didn't happen nearly as bad. It was as if once the video was loading into the VRAM or something it ran properly? In the first video, there is a slight shimmer of what appears to be light around her body. If you click a window and drag it back and forth on your desktop, that image delay is what happens in videos while images are moving in the video player.

And wow you guys are fast, I've had this issue posted on several forums for 24+ hours and haven't got much feedback.

DVI
144Hz(I have tried all refresh rates available)

I feel like if I could somehow get the video player to match the refresh rate of my display or vice verse it would rememdy this issue? But I don't need to do that on my craptop laptop?

Also, when I watch the video recordings I posted above on my laptop, I can still see the issue. In the first video it is very minute but the fact I know the shimmer/stutter is there it drives me bananas. The woman at the beginning of movies holding the torch, when the camera zooms out from her body you can see the image actually lag across the screen and it is horrendous.

Acer GN246HL

When I played the video back to record it with fraps it didn't happen nearly as bad. It was as if once the video was loading into the VRAM or something it ran properly? In the first video, there is a slight shimmer of what appears to be light around her body. If you click a window and drag it back and forth on your desktop, that image delay is what happens in videos while images are moving in the video player.

And wow you guys are fast, I've had this issue posted on several forums for 24+ hours and haven't got much feedback.

DVI

144Hz(I have tried all refresh rates available)

I feel like if I could somehow get the video player to match the refresh rate of my display or vice verse it would rememdy this issue? But I don't need to do that on my craptop laptop?

Also, when I watch the video recordings I posted above on my laptop, I can still see the issue. In the first video it is very minute but the fact I know the shimmer/stutter is there it drives me bananas. The woman at the beginning of movies holding the torch, when the camera zooms out from her body you can see the image actually lag across the screen and it is horrendous.

This monitor has really good reviews and most times the CONs are the glossy bessel/screen if facing a window or the lack of height adjust.

If you have a DP cable, i recommend you try that to see if you get the same issue.

I would try clearing your CMOS to try and "start new".

The videos do not show any "shimmer/stuttering" especially the first one, the second on may have had like a sync issue at the start but that is it, maybe the video was not long enough for us whom are not familiar/experiencing your exact issue by you.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Yeah, the second video, that effect persists throughout the entire playback of any video. It also occurs in games as well. When the images are still it doesn't happen but as soon as people start walking or car door open or anything of the nature, there is a stutter/shimmer/judder around their bodies or the object itself. I have done screen tear tests and I pass the screen tear tests as the lines stay nice and straight.

I do not have a DP cable, I will try to clear my CMOS now. Do you have any suggestions for trying to remedy a sync issue? What will clearing my CMOS do exactly to resolve this?

So I installed SVP and the shimmer/stutter/judder is gone but now it seems as though everything is playing a little bit faster than it should, as if the video is in fast forward a tad bit.

So I installed SVP and the shimmer/stutter/judder is gone but now it seems as though everything is playing a little bit faster than it should, as if the video is in fast forward a tad bit.

Strange. Is the audio faster as well? If not it would become noticeably desynced after a while.

Compare it to playback on another computer if you still aren't sure.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

The audio is good but from watching the same videos last night compared to after installing SVP the images appear to move at an increased speed. It has vastly improved my stutter/shimmer/judder but there is still a slight shimmer around moving objects. Like when an actor/actress turns their head you can see what appears to be a sync issue with the image delay. I don't know the proper terminology to describe it but it is most certainly noticeable.

After recording the video and playing it back several times I'm most certain there is some sort of sync issue going on but I have no idea how to remedy it or where to begin. I will clear the CMOS now to see if that resolves anything, I'm just curious how that would pertain to sync issues.

_____

*Update - after playing around with SVP I have found a comfortable middle ground but I still don't feel it is perfect. I feel like I am putting in way too much work just for videos to play smoothly. I feel like it should just be a plug-and-play situation where it just works from the start perfectly. If that wasn't the case for the majority of 144Hz monitor users this issue would be more prominent on the internet. I will have to try and find a 144Hz forum/discussion board to really hammer down on this issue.

• 8 months later...

Sorry to revive a very old thread..... but curious if anyone else has experianced this as i seem to have the same issue on my G-Sync 144hz monitor?