PC suddenly slowed down.

AndE

My computer was running perfectly yesterday, but after I turned it on this morning it was running INCREDIBLY slowly, to the point where it was almost painful to watch.

I have ran a malwarebytes scan, as well as malwarebytes and kaspersky rootkit scans, and a kaspersky full scan, and no issues were detected, which leads me to believe it may be a hardware issue, but could it happen overnight?

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD Fx8350 8core

GPU: AMD Radeon 7990 6GB

RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX

PSU: Can't remember

MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth 990fx r2.0 (pretty sure thats it)

cooling: corsair h80i

I've had this PC for 2 years (pretty much exactly, maybe 2 years and 1 month)

Could dust inside the PC have caused this change overnight?

Any help appreciated, thank you.

EDIT: May be worth mentioning that my CPU usage seems to be strange, sometimes it's at as low as 1% and sometimes can be 30 or 40% (with no programs open), although 95% of the time it is sitting at 5%

My computer was running perfectly yesterday, but after I turned it on this morning it was running INCREDIBLY slowly, to the point where it was almost painful to watch.

I have ran a malwarebytes scan, as well as malwarebytes and kaspersky rootkit scans, and a kaspersky full scan, and no issues were detected, which leads me to believe it may be a hardware issue, but could it happen overnight?

PC Specs:

early sign of hdd dying when it dramatically slows down like that

or cpu

turn it off and unplug it

wait 10 mins then plug back in

if its working normally...backup data just incase

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

-snip-

What are temperatures on the CPU/GPU? 

Also, download Crystal Disk Info and provide us with a quick readout of SMART data.

Edit: Could be that your cooler pump died and your PC is simply overheating. Could be your hard drive dying. Could be many things.

PC Specs:

Hard Drive is dying. It happened to me yesterday.

You are on a need to know basis, and you don't need to know.

Also, download Crystal Disk Info and provide us with a quick readout of SMART data.

Edit: Could be that your cooler pump died and your PC is simply overheating. Could be your hard drive dying. Could be many things.

or cpu

Can't currently do this as I'm heading out on a business trip. Should be home in around 15 hours so I can try that then. (I'll unplug before I leave so it gets a little more than 10 minutes haha).

As for my HDD, it's a 2TB Hdd that has 750GB free space left, so could it be dying after only 2 years? 

If the HDD is dying, could I port the OS over to a portable HDD?

If so, could I remove my HDD, and leave the portable one plugged in to act as a permanent one?

That seems to be what people have said in the few replies I got, any way to save it?

could be the cpu cooler: check if it stopped working

could be harddrive: try to defragment

CPU cooler seems to be running fine.

I have a h80i and the fan on it is running fine, I also have extra case fans, the tubing has braided cable style casing so can't check water flow (as far as I know)

CPU cooler seems to be running fine.

I have a h80i and the fan on it is running fine, I also have extra case fans, the tubing has braided cable style casing so can't check water flow (as far as I know)

put your ear next to the pump and you'll hear the water flow

NO!

If the HDD is dying, putting any more strain on it could make its demise faster, leading to data loss. 

First the OP needs to establish whether it is in fact the HDD. Then we can devise a backup and replacement solution. 

put your ear next to the pump and you'll hear the water flow

I imagine I'd need to open my PC for that. I'll be able to do that once I get back from this business trip (around 15 hours sadly) which will be about 5pm GMT (Currently 2am for me)

Refresh your OS, might be a malware if you downloaded smth recently.

NO!

If the HDD is dying, putting any more strain on it could make its demise faster, leading to data loss. 

First the OP needs to establish whether it is in fact the HDD. Then we can devise a backup and replacement solution. 

Would crystaldisk be able to inform me of whether or not my HDD is dying? As for backups, all I'd be interested in keeping would be my antivirus (as I don't want to lose my remaining 400 days of subscription since its expensive) and the OS, the rest of my data I don't mind losing, it's mainly just games which are backed up on the steam cloud and easy to reinstall, and all of my work files are on my workstation at the office.

No recent downloads and my malware scans brought up no problems. But may give that a try. How would I refresh my OS and what does that do?

No recent downloads and my malware scans brought up no problems. But may give that a try. How would I refresh my OS and what does that do?

If using windows, go to settings via the taskbar.

Then proceed to restore factory settings.

If using windows, go to settings via the taskbar.

Then proceed to restore factory settings.

Would I lose my antivirus? (I use Kaspersky pure 3.0 and have 400 days left on subscription, which is expensive to replace)

Would crystaldisk be able to inform me of whether or not my HDD is dying? As for backups, all I'd be interested in keeping would be my antivirus (as I don't want to lose my remaining 400 days of subscription since its expensive) and the OS, the rest of my data I don't mind losing, it's mainly just games which are backed up on the steam cloud and easy to reinstall, and all of my work files are on my workstation at the office.

Crystal Disk Info will give you SMART readout, which is basically disk self-monitoring tool. If it shows any erorrs/bad status, your drive is toasted. 

Which antivirus is that? There's probably a way to export your license. :)

Would I lose my antivirus? (I use Kaspersky pure 3.0 and have 400 days left on subscription, which is expensive to replace)

Not for my bitfender, my antivirus key just rolls back by itself, record the key just to be sure.

Crystal Disk Info will give you SMART readout, which is basically disk self-monitoring tool. If it shows any erorrs/bad status, your drive is toasted. 

Which antivirus is that? There's probably a way to export your license. :)

I have Kaspersky Pure 3.0

As for crystal disk, I'll be able to check some time tomorrow (roughly 13 - 16 hours from now)

Thanks for all the help so far

Not for my bitfender, my antivirus key just rolls back by itself, record the key just to be sure.

Will do, just in case I do have to factory reset. I'd rather that be a last resort. Thanks for the help so far though <3

Definitely seems like it is your HDD.

Is it making any strange noises?

That would be a good indicator, though it could still be dying even if it sounds fine.

Backup your data ASAP just in case

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

That would be a good indicator, though it could still be dying even if it sounds fine.

Sounds perfectly normal, but I feel it could be dying based on comments.

or cpu

Fixed the problem. Turns out some of my steam files had corrupted, which was affecting my entire PC as steam launched on startup. Since I've done a complete uninstall and reinstall it seems to be much better.

Fixed the problem. Turns out some of my steam files had corrupted, which was affecting my entire PC as steam launched on startup. Since I've done a complete uninstall and reinstall it seems to be much better.

backup anyway

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile