Good Zoom lens?

hansitv

Hello!

I needed a good tele-lens, which is also below my budget 300€. I know, the better ones are 1000€+, but I have found a Tamron 70-300mm for my D5100.

http://www.amazon.de/Tamron-70-300mm-4-5-6-digitales-Objektiv/dp/B003YUBTIA/ref=sr_1_2?s=ce-de&ie=UTF8&qid=1447580686&sr=1-2&keywords=tamron+70-300

Does anyone know a better one? I will use it for recording video, so the autofocus and focus in general should be silence.

Thanks in advance

I successfully hacked 127.0.0.1! Now I cant turn on my computer :/

6700K - z170 Pro Gaming - Samsung 850 Pro 256GB - WD Black 1TB - WD Green 3TB - External Hard drive 3TB - Zotac GTX 970 Amp! Core Edition - Fractal Define R5 - RM650 - Razer BW Chroma - Roccat Tyon Lasermouse

snip

Not many options for your budget.

As for video, if you want silence, just manually pull focus.  Or get a video camcorder that has a better AF mechanism optimized for video.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

As for video, if you want silent, just manually pull focus.  Or get a video camcorder that has a better AF mechanism optimized for video.

Can also put a directional microphone close to the subject, which at these focal lengths might work well/be necessary anyway.

Can also put a directional microphone close to the subject, which at these focal lengths might work well/be necessary anyway.

Yep, a directional shotgun attached to the camera/audio recorder by a long cable (thinking Boom Mic) or a Lav, preferably a wireless Lav.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

A 70-300 seems extremely long for doing any real video TBH.  You're gonna contend with so much shake that the vid will just look absolutely terrible. +70mm is a very narrow focus length to start at.

The only motor I know that was made for video recording are the Canon STM AF motors.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

A 70-300 seems extremely long for doing any real video TBH.  You're gonna contend with so much shake that the vid will just look absolutely terrible. +70mm is a very narrow focus length to start at.

The only motor I know that was made for video recording are the Canon STM AF motors.

The focal length used will always depend on what you're trying to film and the distance the camera is away from the subject.

But I agree, with a long focal length the camera shake will be much more noticeable unless a tripod or other method to steady the camera is used.  Built-in image stabilization can only be useful to a certain degree, and it doesn't appear as if the in-lens IS on this lens is optimized for video.  To shoulder mount a long focal length lens will require a well balanced rig to keep it as steady as possible,

Should I go with a 50mm (open aperture) instead?

6700K - z170 Pro Gaming - Samsung 850 Pro 256GB - WD Black 1TB - WD Green 3TB - External Hard drive 3TB - Zotac GTX 970 Amp! Core Edition - Fractal Define R5 - RM650 - Razer BW Chroma - Roccat Tyon Lasermouse

Should I go with a 50mm (open aperture) instead?

What kind of videos do you film?

Not very much, often Videos of peoples or short films.

Not very much, often Videos of peoples or short films.

Ok a 50 or 35mm lens would be enough to start with.  Longer focal lengths are better used if the subject is some distance away from the camera or of you want to zoom in to, for example, compose only the subject's face and shoulder like doing an interview for example.

Okay, thanx!

Im going to look into 35mm lenses as my D5100 has APS-C (x1.5) so I can shoot at ~50mm focal lenght. For longer distanced I have also the Kit-lens for up to 105mm.

You may want to look into the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM. it is a constant aperture zoom lens so you wont lose light. and you have a evective focal length of 24-75mm. wich will be great for video. and you have image stabalisation. only it is 100 bucks more expansive than your budget. but maby if you look on the second hand market you can find a deal. 

PC: AMD fx8350     gtx 760 4gb    16gb ram (1600mHz) 530 watt psu

camera: nikon d7200 + nikon D3200,   18-55 kit lens,   Tamron 180mm macro,  af-s nikkor 55-300mm 5.5-5.6 G ED            http://claesphotos.blogspot.com