Should I Raid 0?

Go to solution Solved by scottyseng,

So you would advise? How troublesome is it to maintain a raid0 nowadays? I've got an Asus z97-pro Mobo by the way.

Personally, I would keep the SSDs separate. The 840 Evo is known for the firmware issue and slow speeds. The patch firmware kind of works, kind of doesn't.

In RAID0, you are limited by the slowest SSD (It will slow down the other SSD to match). The 850 would be bottlenecked, though, by how much, I'm not sure.

I would install the OS on the 850 and keep all games / programs on the 840. The hard drive for data of course.

Ok so I just ordered a second 250gb ssd (So i'll have 1 Samsung 840 Evo 256gb + 1 Samsung 850 Evo 256gb).

I will use this 2 ssds for OS (Windows 10) and to store games. (i know it might sound a lot since i've got a 1tb HDD but it was so cheap i couldn't resist)

My question is should I raid 0 them? I hear something about it being "dangerous" and I am completely new to this, it will be the first time ever i do something of the sorts.

Thank you all in advance!

I'd say sure. It makes things faster :3 But its dangerous because if one SSD dies, the data is lost on both.

Allthough if you are only stroing your OS and some games on there the worst that is going to happen is you need to redownload you games and reinastall OS.

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

Ok so I just ordered a second 250gb ssd (So i'll have 1 Samsung 840 Evo 256gb + 1 Samsung 850 Evo 256gb).

I will use this 2 ssds for OS (Windows 10) and to store games. (i know it might sound a lot since i've got a 1tb HDD but it was so cheap i couldn't resist)

My question is should I raid 0 them? I hear something about it being "dangerous" and I am completely new to this, it will be the first time ever i do something of the sorts.

Thank you all in advance!

Setting up a raid is simple.

Living with a raid, not so much.

You'll gain a huge performance boost, but you'll most likely not even notice it, because all it does is to improve reads and writes and how often do you copy a large file (more than a few GB) from one drive to another? Probably not that often that it would matter to you to safe a few seconds on doing that.

Apart from it beeing not that useful it's also only half as secure. If one of your drives dies, the data on both drives will be lost.

I had a Raid 0 myself with two Toshiba HDDs and I only had problems with it. 

So you would advise? How troublesome is it to maintain a raid0 nowadays? I've got an Asus z97-pro Mobo by the way.

Personally, I would keep the SSDs separate. The 840 Evo is known for the firmware issue and slow speeds. The patch firmware kind of works, kind of doesn't.

In RAID0, you are limited by the slowest SSD (It will slow down the other SSD to match). The 850 would be bottlenecked, though, by how much, I'm not sure.

I would install the OS on the 850 and keep all games / programs on the 840. The hard drive for data of course.