Facebook Is Going to Start Giving Video More Attention

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said today that his company’s platform is notching 8 billion video views daily, doubling the number it reported in April. More than 500 million users are watching those videos, he said.

“Over the next few years video is going to be the most engaging content online, and by continuing to innovate here we have a chance to build the best place to watch and share video,” Zuckerberg said.

For Facebook, video has become central. The company has made it possible for public figures to broadcast live, and for creators to upload interactive 360-degree videos to the platform.

“There’s a certain class of content which is only going to come onto Facebook if there’s a good way to compensate content owners for that,” Zuckerberg said when asked how to keep media partners happy. “We’ve recently rolled out the business model for this. We’ll give a revenue share on a portion of the views to content owners.”

Keep in mind, eight billion daily video views is a vanity metric. YouTube (and its stars) have pushed back on Facebook’s video view count, noting that Facebook has a lower bar for what counts as a view. Any video that plays for three seconds or more counts as a view on Facebook. With autoplay starting every time a user pauses on a video, it’s easy to rack up views for videos that weren’t really watched.

YouTube counts a view as 30 seconds or more. In fact, YouTube stopped supplying total view counts in 2012, preferring instead to rely on how many hours of video people watch.

For creators with more than a million Facebook fans, photo posts reach 14% of their audience on average, and text-only updates reach just 4%, according to one manager of content creators. But video posts? They reach 35%.

Source 1: http://www.wired.com/2015/11/facebook-is-going-to-start-giving-video-makers-a-cut/

Source 2: http://fortune.com/2015/11/04/facebook-video-growth/

Although YouTube dominates the video view counts, Facebook is looking to expand its grasp and steal the throne.

I'm not sure whether this will be a blow on other video viewing platforms like Vimeo or YouTube, but we'll just have to wait and see

I also wonder how much money Facebook is willing to give to creators 

How's about they stop continuing to play videos even after I've scrolled past them?

Even when I play a different video, the one further up my feed continues to play....

How's about they stop continuing to play videos even after I've scrolled past them?

Even when I play a different video, the one further up my feed continues to play....

this feature is a real bandwidth hogger.

It's really effective though I keep getting stuck on my news feeds due to the autplay feature.

Maybe facebook should deal with the high amount of content stealing of videos first. Too many youtube and vine videos get stolen and repacked by stupid pages. 

they should also just use the webm standard so that I can share videos here with ease.

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

It's not hard to get 8 billion video views when videos automatically play when you visit the site. How many of those 8 billion views were people actively looking up a video and watching it? Probably not even 1%.

It's not hard to get 8 billion video views when videos automatically play when you visit the site. How many of those 8 billion views were people actively looking up a video and watching it? Probably not even 1%.

So they're essentially using the service to print money?

*facepalm*

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Well, the article did state that YouTube's management question the data released by Facebook

Considering the fact that it takes 3 seconds for a view to count compared to the 30 seconds on YouTube

I'd like it if videos wouldn't automatically play when you scroll towards them. I don't want to have to watch a second of someone's cancerous video of "le hilarious nine-gag may-may", or if I stop scrolling and it starts using unnecessary bandwidth.

The biggest  BURNOUT  fanboy on this forum.

And probably the world.

Those 8 billion figures blah blah are there to please investors and attracting potential advertisement.

How about they turn their attention to their picture serice or however you call it. It just kills the quality. I suppose it compresses them or something. It's awful.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

That cunt should stop supporting anti-privacy bills and maybe I'll care about what he's doing again.

So 20 megapixels of 'nobody gives a shit' would be available in 4k too?

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero