Dying Micro SD?

Recently I switched from my Xperia SP to a Samsung Galaxy S3. Originally I just transferred the SD card over to the S3 and it worked fine for a bit until the phone started to lock up when viewing photos. And since it worked fine in the SP after I switched back the cards, I've just assumed it was a compatibility issue. Now after a few months, the SP is having problems reading from the SD Card. Sometimes it can't calculate remaining space, and applications will lock up or don't do anything when it tries to access anything from the card. The phone can't even shutdown if the card is plugged in anymore. And on the computer, Windows Explorer will at times lock up an when accessing the card, do I have a dying card on my hands? It's a Kingston Digital 32 GB microSDHC Class 10 Flash Card.

Thanks in Advance.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Recently I switched from my Xperia SP to a Samsung Galaxy S3. Originally I just transferred the SD card over to the S3 and it worked fine for a bit until the phone started to lock up when viewing photos. And since it worked fine in the SP after I switched back the cards, I've just assumed it was a compatibility issue. Now after a few months, the SP is having problems reading from the SD Card. Sometimes it can't calculate remaining space, and applications will lock up or don't do anything when it tries to access anything from the card. The phone can't even shutdown if the card is plugged in anymore. And on the computer, Windows Explorer will at times lock up an when accessing the card, do I have a dying card on my hands? It's a Kingston Digital 32 GB microSDHC Class 10 Flash Card.

Thanks in Advance.

Sounds like it.  Not sure of SD cards have lifetime warranty like their RAM, but no harm checking and getting a replacement unit.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

• 4 weeks later...

I just had a 32g Adata die on me after transferring it from an HTC phone that I never had any issues with for over 2 years (meaning the SD card) to an S3.

Last thing I remember doing was deleting a couple of old photos, and the next time I looked at the phone a few hours later the storage option was gone, never to be seen again.

I have a Sandisk on order, but I'd like to know if it was just a bum drive that finally gave out after 2 years, or if the S3 is actually a card killer like I've been reading about online before I sacrifice the Sandisk thats on order for no reason.

Soo...

I just popped the new Micro in and now, when transferring files onto it, I get advised that transferring files to SD cards is DISABLED in KitKat?

Awesome. Disable one of the main things people use Android for in the first place.

So I guess my only option, since S3's are not eligible for Lollipop, is to root and install CM or another ROM?

Looks like the issue was with Astro. The Samsung file browser seems to work.

~snip~

Hello there :)

Maybe you can try contacting the support of the manufacturer and see if the guys there can offer a solution, provide a diagnostic tool or give you some suggestions regarding the problem. It does sound like the card is failing. I'd try to access it through Linux Live CD and see if you can get the data out. If the card is under warranty I'd simply replace it. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/