Updated BIOS - Welcomed with "whea_uncorrectable_error"

SometimesStuff

Hi,

I'm looking for a small bit of help, I don't understand much about what happened! I updated my BIOS to the latest version from the ASUS website, my MB is the ASUS Z87-K, after updating and logging into Windows, my system crashed to a BSOD with the whea_uncorrectable_error.

I went back into the BIOS and loaded the optimised defaults, also turned off Turbo (just for checking!), Windows seemed to boot up fine and working for the moment, no idea if it will crash again or any idea what to look for. Though logging back into Windows, all of my logins seemed to have been forgotten, browsers and Steam.

Any help in what to look at, how to fix this if it happens again, etc would be appriciated! I will be turning Turbo back on just to see if it does anything.

If it doesn't crash with turbo off vs on, then... it's just a guess, but maybe it's a badly(or better, oddly) binned chip that doesn't like the turbo voltages it's given by the motherboard. WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR is caused by an unstable CPU clock.

Hi,

I'm looking for a small bit of help, I don't understand much about what happened! I updated my BIOS to the latest version from the ASUS website, my MB is the ASUS Z87-K, after updating and logging into Windows, my system crashed to a BSOD with the whea_uncorrectable_error.

I went back into the BIOS and loaded the optimised defaults, also turned off Turbo (just for checking!), Windows seemed to boot up fine and working for the moment, no idea if it will crash again or any idea what to look for. Though logging back into Windows, all of my logins seemed to have been forgotten, browsers and Steam.

Any help in what to look at, how to fix this if it happens again, etc would be appriciated! I will be turning Turbo back on just to see if it does anything.

Did you try to use an overclock that was used for your older bios?

You should never carry settings over to a different bios. Once you've flashed you might as well delete those settings and start over again.

You can use them as a guide but that's it.

It's not a race to the bottom.

It wasn't overclocked, turbo was on before I updated my BIOS, so I don't know if that would have been the cause.