Can anyone suggest a better upgrade than this for the price? (And will I need a new power supply?)

Simba

This is my current PC.

I'm keeping my motherboard, sorry but I'm not going through the hassle of getting a new one. For example I have an OEM product key for Windows which is locked to my current motherboard and I can't afford a new Windows key.

I was thinking of upgrading to an FX-8350 and an Nvidia GTX 970 within the next month but I wanted to check if there was any better options.

(And yes, I do know that I will need to upgrade my 500W power supply to be able to handle something like an FX-8350)

Your board wont support that CPU. you board maker only recommends 140w tdp chips and that cpu is 220W and ASUS didn;t even add it to the QVL processors.

the board might run But I wouldn't risk it. 

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

Your board wont support that CPU. you board maker only recommends 140w tdp chips and that cpu is 220W and ASUS didn;t even add it to the QVL processors.

I've changed it to 8350. That any better?

thats what hes saying, the fx 8350 is a 220W TDP chip

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

R9 390 for the all AMD build ;)

- CPU: Intel i7 3770 - GPU: MSI R9 390 - RAM: 16GB of DDR3 - SSD: Crucial BX100 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB -

Unless you really need it I don't think I'd suggest an upgrade until you have money to upgrade completely.  I don't think that the 6300 to 8350 is really worth it.  That's my 2c

"You should look up common sense and add it to your vocabulary." - dougdangger 2015

I thought the fx 8350 was 125W

less likely to set itself on fire  so yes :P

Personally I would swap platform instead of upgrading the cpu.

if you don't want to swap out the whole mobo and cpu I would just beef up the cooling and get that 6300 to 4200-4600Mhz area and only upgrade the video card.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

8350 is a 125w TDP CPU.

he had a FX 9370 originally; the 8350 is a 125W TDP

I thought the fx 8350 was 125W

it appears so, but I would personally save up and switch to intel (far better gaming performance vs AMD)

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace