Predator x34 vs. Asus ROG Swift pg279q

Flytan

Hey I've narrowed my monitor down two choices. I've researched pretty much everything else and these two seem like the best options currently.

I recently invested in a new PC and went with a 980Ti. I did not go the route of SLI, though I do have the option in the future if I choose to change that, and have some questions regarding how only have that one 980Ti will affect my choice of monitor

I WANT to play the games on max settings, I don't want to give that sort of thing up especially investing so much money into this. I know I'll get far lower FPS on some of the highest quality games, but what exactly are those?

Will my GFX card w/ a Predator x34 be able to handle the following at max setting w/ AA etc.? And if not, will the new ROG Swift be okay with everything?

Games: 

Elder Scrolls Online

FFXIV

LoL

CS:GO

WoW

Hearthstone(lol)

Skyrim 

Thanks for the help

Ok, that's gonna be the Predator x34 for sure. Unless you really need those 65Hz for CS:GO and LoL (in terms of competitive edge). However a widescreen i think would give you more advantage in FPS games than the higher frame rate. Really, X34 predator is to go for if you have the budget for it, or the PG279Q is still a great choice.

EDIT: Your games are not so difficult to run, and to tell you the truth, i will be buying a Korean 40 inch 4K monitor alongside PG348Q (it's Asus version of X34 Predator). For games like Guild Wars 2, Final Fantasy XIV and the new upcomming big title Black Desert, Id make sure to push as higher resolution as possible (If possible - 8K!) cuz MMOs require little gpu power for some very impressive graphics that can look bettter on highest resolutions. Id say do not hold back on resolution if you are going to play MMORPGs. Competitive games require high FPS so you can sacrifise going down to get more fps and get some edge over others.

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

1 x 980Ti is the pg279q.

WQHD 1440p is the perfect sweetspot . You can max everything and have awesome visuals with very good frames. The x34 will rip you ~30% fps right from the start.

In case you want play Games like Witcher 3, GTA5 ect. of course. I mean..LoL could run 8k with a potatoe.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Hey I've narrowed my monitor down two choices. I've researched pretty much everything else and these two seem like the best options currently.

I recently invested in a new PC and went with a 980Ti. I did not go the route of SLI, though I do have the option in the future if I choose to change that, and have some questions regarding how only have that one 980Ti will affect my choice of monitor

I WANT to play the games on max settings, I don't want to give that sort of thing up especially investing so much money into this. I know I'll get far lower FPS on some of the highest quality games, but what exactly are those?

Will my GFX card w/ a Predator x34 be able to handle the following at max setting w/ AA etc.? And if not, will the new ROG Swift be okay with everything?

Games: 

Elder Scrolls Online

FFXIV

LoL

CS:GO

WoW

Hearthstone(lol)

Skyrim 

Thanks for the help

Do you play competitively

Also I would not get the ACER Predator X34, to many QC issues, wait for the ASUS PG348Q

GPU[Two GTX 980ti Lightnings overclocked]-CPU[Core i7 5930K, 4.4Ghz]-Motherboard[MSI X99 Godlike]-Case[Corsair 780t Black]-RAM[32GB Corsair Dominator 3000Mhz Light bars]-Storage[samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and Samsung 850 Pro 512GB]-CPU Cooler[EK Predator 360mm]-PSU[EVGA 1600w T2 Individual cables Red]-Monitor[ASUS PG348Q]-Keyboard[Corsair K70 Red]-Mouse[Corsair M65 RGB]-Headset[sennheiser G4me one]-Case Fans[beQuiet Silent Wings 2]

1 x 980Ti is the pg279q.

WQHD 1440p is the perfect sweetspot . You can max everything and have awesome visuals with very good frames. The x34 will rip you ~30% fps right from the start.

In case you want play Games like Witcher 3, GTA5 ect. of course. I mean..LoL could run 8k with a potatoe.

Yeah I figured LoL would be fine everywhere. I mean I don't plan on ever playing stuff like GTA but I'd like to keep stuff open in the future for other games (like future Elder Scrolls or new MMOs). I mean getting a new graphics card every few years or so isn't a big deal for me but it's more like will it work for CURRENT stuff and for the next year or so without any drawback. 

Do you play competitively

Also I would not get the ACER Predator X34, to many QC issues, wait for the ASUS PG348Q

Not competitively but I also don't want to intentionally put myself at some type of "disadvantage". I care far more about MMOs/RPGs than shooters, so if shooters is the only type of game that suffers, I'm okay with that. 

Thanks for the replies!

At 100Hz with GSYNC on the X34, you won't really be at any disadvantage. It's still a very good frame rate. After 100-120Hz, the extra frames are, in my view, fairly un-noticeable in reality. Aside from that, the widescreen is a better overall experience and more immersive in most games and non-gaming activities.

Also, with a single 980Ti you won't be able to max the refresh rate of the PG279Q on ultra settings (neither will you on the x34, but it'll be closer)

At the end of the day, you can't really go wrong with either choice, but the benefits of the extra frames on the 27" don't outweigh the ultrawide format in my view. Again, the difference isn't that noticeable (ESPECIALLY on MMO's/RPG's) and most people probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference even on FPS's. 

PC: CPU: i7-5820k  GPU: GTX 1080 ROG Strix OC 8GB  RAM: 32GB DDR4   SSD: Samsung Evo 850 1TB  Board: MSI X99A SLI PLUS  Case: Corsair 760T

Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13" (i7, 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM)

Yeah I figured LoL would be fine everywhere. I mean I don't plan on ever playing stuff like GTA but I'd like to keep stuff open in the future for other games (like future Elder Scrolls or new MMOs). I mean getting a new graphics card every few years or so isn't a big deal for me but it's more like will it work for CURRENT stuff and for the next year or so without any drawback. 

Not competitively but I also don't want to intentionally put myself at some type of "disadvantage". I care far more about MMOs/RPGs than shooters, so if shooters is the only type of game that suffers, I'm okay with that. 

Thanks for the replies!

Well 3440x1440p will be harder to run than 2560x1440p, so you might not benefit from 100hz, you will need two GPUs to run close to 100hz in popular games.

Also do not get the ACER Predator X34, it has quite a few problems, if you want 3440x1440p, wait for the ASUS PG348Q

GPU[Two GTX 980ti Lightnings overclocked]-CPU[Core i7 5930K, 4.4Ghz]-Motherboard[MSI X99 Godlike]-Case[Corsair 780t Black]-RAM[32GB Corsair Dominator 3000Mhz Light bars]-Storage[samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and Samsung 850 Pro 512GB]-CPU Cooler[EK Predator 360mm]-PSU[EVGA 1600w T2 Individual cables Red]-Monitor[ASUS PG348Q]-Keyboard[Corsair K70 Red]-Mouse[Corsair M65 RGB]-Headset[sennheiser G4me one]-Case Fans[beQuiet Silent Wings 2]

Also do not get the ACER Predator X34, it has quite a few problems, if you want 3440x1440p, wait for the ASUS PG348Q

You'd think the CEO of Acer killed your dog or something with all of the x34 bashing you do on this section  :rolleyes:

PC: CPU: i7-5820k  GPU: GTX 1080 ROG Strix OC 8GB  RAM: 32GB DDR4   SSD: Samsung Evo 850 1TB  Board: MSI X99A SLI PLUS  Case: Corsair 760T

You'd think the CEO of Acer killed your dog or something with all of the x34 bashing you do on this section  :rolleyes:

Well, I just think people seem to be forgetting about all these problems, like not reaching 100hz, coil whine, screen flashing and the sleeping issue. Why do people keep recommending this monitor, these problems need to be fixed before I recommend it.

It seems this monitor was rushed before other competitors release their version.

Well, I just think people seem to be forgetting about all these problems, like not reaching 100hz, coil whine, screen flashing and the sleeping issue. Why do people keep recommending this monitor, these problems need to be fixed before I recommend it.

It seems this monitor was rushed before other competitors release their version.

It's not like those are permanent defects with the model itself, just some early shipments that had issues (and were RMA'd). This happens with every manufacturer to a certain degree, there will always be some defective units with any product launch. There are many people who have purchased it and have no issues at all, so I wouldn't judge the model in its entirety over issues that are likely small in percentage and will either be fixed through firmware updates or replaced by Acer.

Hahaha. I've noticed that as well. There's nothing wrong with pointing out defects that "some" users are having. Sadly, you'll never know how many completely satisfied customers are out there because practically none of them are posting how happy they are with it. That's most likely because they haven't emerged from their chair since they got it. As for the issues "some" users are experiencing, the squeaky wheel gets the grease you know.

Hahaha. I've noticed that as well. There's nothing wrong with pointing out defects that "some" users are having. Sadly, you'll never know how many completely satisfied customers are out there because practically none of them are posting how happy they are with it. That's most likely because they haven't emerged from their chair since they got it. As for the issues "some" users are experiencing, the squeaky wheel gets the grease you know.

Sorry if it is obvious (my anger at ACER) just starting to get quite bad now, so many people think this monitor is free from defects, there is a large amount of people with the sleeping issue and coil whine though, I do agree, it is hard to tell how many people have it, although it seems a large amount.

It's not like those are permanent defects with the model itself, just some early shipments that had issues (and were RMA'd). This happens with every manufacturer to a certain degree, there will always be some defective units with any product launch. There are many people who have purchased it and have no issues at all, so I wouldn't judge the model in its entirety over issues that are likely small in percentage and will either be fixed through firmware updates or replaced by Acer.

If it is firmware, all these monitors will be recalled, like what happened to the blue banding issue, however I think ACER will not fix this issues, until they do, I will not recommend this monitor. I understand one issue, however it is about four issues now.

Sorry, I just think ACER rushed this monitor. I did pre order the monitor in early July, until I found out about these issues, then I canceled it.

Sorry if it is obvious (my anger at ACER) just starting to get quite bad now, so many people think this monitor is free from defects, there is a large amount of people with the sleeping issue and coil whine though, I do agree, it is hard to tell how many people have it, although it seems a large amount.

If it is firmware, all these monitors will be recalled, like what happened to the blue banding issue, however I think ACER will not fix this issues, until they do, I will not recommend this monitor. I understand one issue, however it is about four issues now.

Sorry, I just think ACER rushed this monitor. I did pre order the monitor in early July, until I found out about these issues, then I canceled it.

PG348Q is definately a safer choice to pick...yeah...

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

An interesting question is what will be the max (overclocked) refresh rate at 2560x1440 on X34 monitor. it might be actually higher than 100Hz. :)

An interesting question is what will be the max (overclocked) refresh rate at 2560x1440 on X34 monitor. it might be actually higher than 100Hz. :)

I would say that it does not go any higher, ACER have got the Z35 soon, which is 2560x1080p VA 200hz, so I expect they blocked a higher overclock, so they get more sales.