About Pagefile

HeKaRiZbLaDe

Hi guys since i have huge ram usage in idle and even work loads and I'm going to do experiments in the Page file and i know page file must be not be touch or remove but...

I always think that if i move the page file to other drive with about 20gb of space and then set that as a page file in the drive (image below)

post-193307-0-87178700-1445849174_thumb.

Do i get any gains of performance or worse ?

It depends on your drive. If your system in on an SSD and you move the page file off the SSD the performance will drop.

If you have some money buy some more RAM. Overflow onto physical storage is much slower than Memory, regardless of storage type (today anyway who knows in 5 years)

The less information that gets paged the faster your system seems.

Edit: I will also add, They recommend not turning off the page file in windows because the system pages certain things regardless of how much available RAM you have. It can make your system unstable. However its not always the case, Outside of windows, If you have enough memory it is fine to not have a page file/partition. There is a pretty good article on the ins and outs of a page file in windows here if you're interested.

Edited by SubTract

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

It depends on your drive. If your system in on an SSD and you move the page file off the SSD the performance will drop.

If you have some money buy some more RAM. Overflow onto physical storage is much slower than Memory, regardless of storage type (today anyway who knows in 5 years)

The less information that gets paged the faster your system seems.

I have 2 mechanical hard drive still these days... and HDD is 8 years old and still running. SSD in Philippines is not worth buying it is expensive to buy one

also i have 4GB of ram and still running in 1.3 idle than 2gb ram usage in idle..

I have 2 mechanical hard drive still these days... and HDD is 8 years old and still running. SSD in Philippines is not worth buying it is expensive to buy one

also i have 4GB of ram and still running in 1.3 idle than 2gb ram usage in idle..

I would recommend putting a small page file on your system drive. perhaps 1GB

then a bigger one perhaps 8GB on your second drive.

Most people have different ideas on ideal page file procedures though.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4