Confused by two of linus videos :O

Go to solution Solved by SparkySamZa,

Hey guys, I need your Help!

(To start off with: Sorry for my bad english :o )

I wanted to build my own PC with the following parts:

CPU: I7 4790K 4.0 - 4.4 Ghz

MB: Asus ROG Maximus VII Ranger / Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 (not decidet yet. which one would u recommend? )

GPU:  2x EVGA GTX 970 overclocked version SLI

(power supply, hard drive, case and so on aren`t necessary for the question)

Then I saw This Video from Linus:

which, as far as I anderstood it, says that I can`t get the full power out of two graphiccards whith this CPU and that both GPUs would only use PCIe 8x instead of PCIe 16x.   

A few Days Later I saw this Video:

where he uses the I7 4790K whith two GPUs. Does it means that I can use two GPUs whith this CPU and the performance increace or is there not much difference if I only use one GPU.

Thank you for the help in advance :)

Philipp

A) it depends on the motherboard and cpu, a 4790k i believe can do 16x 16x but 16x and 16x make no difference to 8x since it is pci 3.0

B) Are you getting an SSD or not because that should the first thing to go in :P

C) 8x and 16x make no difference to each other on 3.0 so don't worry 

MB: Asus ROG Maximus VII Ranger / Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 (not decidet yet. which one would u recommend? )

which, as far as I anderstood it, says that I can`t get the full power out of two graphiccards whith this CPU and that both GPUs would only use PCIe 8x instead of PCIe 16x.   

where he uses the I7 4790K whith two GPUs. Does it means that I can use two GPUs whith this CPU and the performance increace or is there not much difference if I only use one GPU.

Philipp

It depends on the games/applications you're using. For the sake of demonstration, I'll be saying games as they're quite common to talk about. As I said earlier, it really just depends on the games as some games don't have support for SLI or Crossfire, in comparison to some that do. If it was say, GTA 5, you would see an increase in performance. But the SLI can backfire. A 4 way SLI config is horrendous in gaming(typically) due to the fact that most games can't support it.

Edit: In short, you need to look at what kind of games that you'll be playing. Most of the time, 2-way SLI is better. Single GPU will be better usually only when SLI isn't supported or has really trash support.

Don't be fooled by the bottom line of my sig, that is just for my travels.

So you're telling me that Gaben is no God? Enough of your foolishness.

My hardware you ask? I'm using a Dell Inspiron 3217 Notebook... With an LG 25UM57.

Philipp

A) it depends on the motherboard and cpu, a 4790k i believe can do 16x 16x but 16x and 16x make no difference to 8x since it is pci 3.0

B) Are you getting an SSD or not because that should the first thing to go in :P

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

no worries m8. gon' be gr8

wow... pretty empty here...

Thx and Yes I`m getting an SSD :)