Two Computers One CPU with VMware?

LtStaffel
Go to solution Solved by wpirobotbuilder,

Yes, what I'm asking is how to make VMware use one of the two GPUs that will be in the system I'm running for a guest machine.

You cannot do it with VMWare workstation. Hardware passthrough relies on 1) your hardware supporting it and 2) your OS supporting it. Your hardware might or might not support it (you'll have to tell us what the machine is), but neither Windows, OS X, nor Linux support it. Your OS needs to be specialized to handle it. The reason it worked for Linus is that unRAID has this specific support.

You can do it with VMWare products, but you'll need to become familiar with ESXi -- a dedicated operating system designed to host virtual machines. There is a free version that works without a license, but you get the bare bones of the OS (no easy migration of virtual machines, no cloning). You could do 2 Gamers 1 System with ESXi -- instructions are here. I've done it successfully with my desktop.

If you're running a 4790K, you can feel good about yourself -- the CPU supports PCI passthrough. If you're running AMD, your GPU almost definitely supports PCI passthrough. If you're running Nvidia, you've got a lot more work ahead of you.

Hello,

Obviously I just watched that video Linus just put out. But I'd like to know if I can do it with VMware, a virtual machine software. I have the full workstation edition. How do I make VMware make the guest machine use ONE of the two cards I'd have in the physical rig, while the physical uses the other card?

Thanks in advance

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

off the top of my head the "nearly bare metal" linux VM solutions are the best option for now.

VMware supports it, by how much i'm not sure. also not sure if this is the desktop version, or the server "nearly bare metal" version, or both.

virtualbox does as well, but theres disuction on pulling it from the release version because its very buggy and unreliable.

off the top of my head the "nearly bare metal" linux VM solutions are the best option for now.

VMware supports it, by how much i'm not sure. also not sure if this is the desktop version, or the server "nearly bare metal" version, or both.

virtualbox does as well, but theres disuction on pulling it from the release version because its very buggy and unreliable.

I have Windows, for the guest machine.  And Workstation is for desktops, and I have the full version of it.  Software accessibility shouldn't be an issue in this case.  I'll look at virtualbox but I don't like it as much as VMware.

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

I have Windows, for the guest machine.  And Workstation is for desktops, and I have the full version of it.  Software accessibility shouldn't be an issue in this case.  I'll look at virtualbox but I don't like it as much as VMware.

between VMware and virtualbox i'm pretty sure that VMware is the better bet. 

between VMware and virtualbox i'm pretty sure that VMware is the better bet. 

Yes, what I'm asking is how to make VMware use one of the two GPUs that will be in the system I'm running for a guest machine.

Spoiler

You cannot do it with VMWare workstation. Hardware passthrough relies on 1) your hardware supporting it and 2) your OS supporting it. Your hardware might or might not support it (you'll have to tell us what the machine is), but neither Windows, OS X, nor Linux support it. Your OS needs to be specialized to handle it. The reason it worked for Linus is that unRAID has this specific support.

You can do it with VMWare products, but you'll need to become familiar with ESXi -- a dedicated operating system designed to host virtual machines. There is a free version that works without a license, but you get the bare bones of the OS (no easy migration of virtual machines, no cloning). You could do 2 Gamers 1 System with ESXi -- instructions are here. I've done it successfully with my desktop.

If you're running a 4790K, you can feel good about yourself -- the CPU supports PCI passthrough. If you're running AMD, your GPU almost definitely supports PCI passthrough. If you're running Nvidia, you've got a lot more work ahead of you.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Thanks

Spoiler