Computer won't turn on.

WillFromGA

I built it about 3-4 months ago so its not brand new. I was switching out the graphics cards and it worked fine. Then I went back to the original graphics card and now the computer gets power (the HDDs spin and USB ports gives power) but no fans in the case work. Power button does nothing.

I'm thinking the damn motherboard shorted out or something. Its a As rock extreme 3

This isn't the first problem I've had with it. The first time, the CMOS battery died after 1 month.

All help is much appreciated.

Things I've done: checked CMOS battery, reseat ram and graphics card, unplugged all hard drives, unplugged power to the whole computer, tried with out graphics card, tried with out ram

My Computer

Beef Cake

Intel i5 4690k @ 3.5GHz - EVGA 970 FTW - ASRock Z97 Extreme3 - Kingston HyperX Fury 8Gb 1866MHz - 120GB Samsung Evo - 1TB Toshiba Drive - 320GB Samsung Barracuda - Corsair 500M

Have you tried it without ANY graphics card?

When in doubt, re-format.

Does it turn on again if you put the second graphics card back in?

Have you tried it without ANY graphics card?

Yes. Its the same thing. I should also add, as soon as I plug power into the PSU, without pressing the on switch in the front of the case, it does this.

My Computer

Beef Cake

Intel i5 4690k @ 3.5GHz - EVGA 970 FTW - ASRock Z97 Extreme3 - Kingston HyperX Fury 8Gb 1866MHz - 120GB Samsung Evo - 1TB Toshiba Drive - 320GB Samsung Barracuda - Corsair 500M

Yes. Its the same thing. I should also add, as soon as I plug power into the PSU, without pressing the on switch in the front of the case, it does this.

It may be the motherboard, I'd take it out of the case, put it on a cardboard box and see if it will post from there. May be it connecting the current somewhere it shouldn't in the case.

This is probably unlikely, but the other thing I can think of is just that its borked entirely

Does it turn on again if you put the second graphics card back in?

No it does not turn on. As soon as I turn the switch on the PSU to a closed circuit, the hdds start spinning and USB gets power and the HDDs start spinning. I have not pressed the on button in front of the case. When I do hit the on button, nothing happens.

My Computer

Beef Cake

No it does not turn on. As soon as I turn the switch on the PSU to a closed circuit, the hdds start spinning and USB gets power and the HDDs start spinning. I have not pressed the on button in front of the case. When I do hit the on button, nothing happens.

Without being there to test it out myself, all signs point towards borked mobo. MAYBE psu, but probly not

When in doubt, re-format.

If the computer is booting by itself, is the computer also power cycling? I have had experience with one of my desktops doing this. Turns out it was a RAM issue. If you have any known good RAM, try plugging it in to the machine and see if you still have the issue. Sometimes bad RAM will boot 'sometimes' and then not others. My RAM even passed RAM tests. The best way to check is to use Known Good RAM.