ssd vs msata

Go to solution Solved by guyfromnebraska,

If you're trying to save space, go msata, they use the same chips, jsut a different amount, which contributes to overall performance. Personally I don't really see the point of multiple SSDs in one system, doesn't make enough of a difference imo.

If your on a desktop don't get msata. Those are for notebooks.

He's already getting an msata SSD alongside his standard SSD and is trying to decide which he should put his OS on. And many motherboard have msata slots now.

I don't have experience with either so I do not know which would be better but good luck!

hey guys I got a new samsung 840 pro and have my os on that right now im getting a 128 msata drive also and was trying to see if there is one better then the other should os go on msata drive and ssd for other stuff or visa versa or at that point does it not affect speed as they are both "ssd"?

If you're trying to save space, go msata, they use the same chips, jsut a different amount, which contributes to overall performance. Personally I don't really see the point of multiple SSDs in one system, doesn't make enough of a difference imo.

Could be SFF pc.

He's already getting an msata SSD alongside his standard SSD and is trying to decide which he should put his OS on. And many motherboard have msata slots now.

I don't have experience with either so I do not know which would be better but good luck!

FX 6300 - MSI 7870 Ghz - M5A97 R2.0 - Team Vulcan 8GB - WD Caviar Blue 1TB - Rosewill HIVE 550w - NZXT Source 210 (white) - Loud Fans

Peripherals - Logitech G105 - Cobra mouse - Acer G236HL - Logitech desktop mic - Logitech LS21 - Audio Technica ATH-M30

Laptop - Acer Aspire V3 - A84500m - 7670m - 15.6" screen (1366x768) - 3.5GB DDR3  - 500GB Scorpio Blue

And small for factor pcs. I have a shuttle with one in it because it is built into the mobo. I won the ssd at pax though.

Desk: monitors 3x Asus VE248h(eyefinity), Keyboard Cm Strom Trigger(mx red), Mouse Corsair m65, Headset Audio Technica ATH-M50

Black Friday 2013 Build: i7 4770k, Gigabyte Z87X UD5H, 16gb Corsair, Msi R9 290, Corsair Axi 760, Corsair 750D, 2x intel 530 240gb ssd, 2x Seagate 400gb

Older Machine amd x640, msi 760g mobo, 8gb gskillz, Sapphire 6870, Corsair hx650, Cooler master haf 922, ocz agility 3 120gb ssd || HTPC: i7 3770k, shuttle xpc z77, 16gb gskillz, Asus GTX 650 ti, intel 120gb msata ssd

MSATA=SATA

The contact points are just closer

It's like micro usb and usb it's the exact same but the contact points are closer. With ivy bridge though with msata you are limited to sata2.0 and with haswell you have 3.0. 

I have an 240GB mstata on this laptop and it runs amazing, super fast and it's on sata 2.0.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

And small for factor pcs. I have a shuttle with one in it because it is built into the mobo. I won the ssd at pax though.

Sweet. what did you have to do to win?

@criso8 I played blr and won a random drawing! My friend won a nuc with everything.

Desk: monitors 3x Asus VE248h(eyefinity), Keyboard Cm Strom Trigger(mx red), Mouse Corsair m65, Headset Audio Technica ATH-M50

Black Friday 2013 Build: i7 4770k, Gigabyte Z87X UD5H, 16gb Corsair, Msi R9 290, Corsair Axi 760, Corsair 750D, 2x intel 530 240gb ssd, 2x Seagate 400gb

Older Machine amd x640, msi 760g mobo, 8gb gskillz, Sapphire 6870, Corsair hx650, Cooler master haf 922, ocz agility 3 120gb ssd || HTPC: i7 3770k, shuttle xpc z77, 16gb gskillz, Asus GTX 650 ti, intel 120gb msata ssd

I should clarify this is a notebook and I have both drives or will by tomorrow afternoon so looking to see what the best way to set everything up is when its all said and done i will have 128 samsung 840 pro then the msata 128 and i have a 750gb standard 7200 hard drive so if my math is right should be about a tb till its done and i'm trying to see what the best way to allocate the space is. I do play some games on here its an i7 with 16gb 1600 ram rest is just day to day work word docs movies, youtube, internet ect

thank you for reading the original post ;) 

If you have a motherboard that has an mSATA slot and want to save space and don't mind the price of an mSATA SSD, then go for it.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Well, I say get a large capacity HDD, and put the other SSD to use in another system? I have a 1TB HDD for storage and games and a large SSD for Windows and my main programs, no issues with performance. Just a suggestion.