Old seagate drive

ThatGuysProject
Go to solution Solved by ThatGuysProject,

I think so but It might rattle around in there!

Hey guys look at the results.

One drive

Two

Two drives

1 year old drive

IT STILL WORKS AFTER A YEAR OF BEING OUTSIDE!!!!!!!!
seagate are officially the best hdd makers.

Hey guys, a year ago i threw out my old laptop but a few days ago i found it in my garden and realised i could salvage a few parts being the hard drive.

I did salvage it and it looks like its in a good condition even know its been through rain, snow and heat waves but i did try doing a boot up with the drive and it could find a os on there so i think i could use it but i also think alot of the data that was on there is now corrupted obviously but i need to know other people opinion on if i should try repair and use it. 

Why was there a laptop sitting in your garden if you threw it out? wtf

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

I'm intrigued. How do you find something in your garden a year later?

And obviously no, throw that thing out.

Error: 410

Two things:

1. WTF??? I think I want to hear that story... :lol:

i should try repair and use it.

How would you repair a drive as a normal consumer without all the special equipment usually

needed for that?

In any case: Do a thorough diagnosis on it and see what it spits out. Even if it's just for

satisfying your (our) curiosity. :D

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

By throw it out i mean it was in a bag in my garden and it was supposed to be taken to the dump but no one got around to it and also o found out that the pc detects the drive functioning but no os so it definitely is corrupted.

Ah well, things happen. Personally I wouldn't trust that drive anymore, but I'd definitely

try to run some diagnostics on it just out of curiosity. Also, if you can still install an

OS on it I might do that just for sh!ts and giggles, leave it running and just see how long

it takes to give out completely.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Run some tests and post them here! :P what branding is it aswell? Would be cool to see how that drive has held up. 

CPU: i5 3570k                                 PSU: CX650 Corsair                 SSD: 128GB Samsung 840

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance     Case: Zalman Z11                    HDD: 500Gb Toshiba & 1TB Western Digital

MOBO: ASrock Extreme 4 Z77        GPU: GTX 770

Run some tests and post them here! :P what branding is it aswell? Would be cool to see how that drive has held up. 

The thread says seagate for a reason and i wont be able to test it for 2 weeks or more because im going to spain for my holiday but i will put the results up :)

The thread says seagate for a reason and i wont be able to test it for 2 weeks or more because im going to spain for my holiday but i will put the results up :)

Derp, thanks :P real world abuse tests there. 

CPU: i5 3570k                                 PSU: CX650 Corsair                 SSD: 128GB Samsung 840

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance     Case: Zalman Z11                    HDD: 500Gb Toshiba & 1TB Western Digital

MOBO: ASrock Extreme 4 Z77        GPU: GTX 770

I wouldn't recommend running that in your computer but maybe put it in an external enclosure? Also if you can get it working again for a decent amount of time see about writing into Seagate and tell them about it. You may just get something free for doing a real world stress test or something. Just a thought.

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

I wouldn't recommend running that in your computer but maybe put it in an external enclosure? Also if you can get it working again for a decent amount of time see about writing into Seagate and tell them about it. You may just get something free for doing a real world stress test or something. Just a thought.

thats a great idea and i think my dad has a external portable hard drive bay but i think its a 5 inch bay not a 3.5 inch bay but it should fit, right?

Ah well, things happen. Personally I wouldn't trust that drive anymore, but I'd definitely

try to run some diagnostics on it just out of curiosity. Also, if you can still install an

OS on it I might do that just for sh!ts and giggles, leave it running and just see how long

it takes to give out completely.

^ all this. Run a complete surface scan on it, see how many sectors are still alive!. Honestly, I'm surprised the thing is even spinning after going through such torture.

thats a great idea and i think my dad has a external portable hard drive bay but i think its a 5 inch bay not a 3.5 inch bay but it should fit, right?

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

• 3 weeks later...

Hey just i have hooked the 1 year old drive up to my pc and look at the results. or you would if i knew how to post pics

One drive

Two

Two drives

1 year old drive

One drive

Two

Two drives

1 year old drive

One drive

Two drives

Ho. Lee. Sheit.

Why would you throw out a laptop? I need explanation! 

• 2 months later...

She died, but she served her purpose well, just show the durability of them :(, she will be missed but she will always be in my draw to honor that drive