PSU - GPU combo possible problem.

Go to solution Solved by jimakos234,

Looks like it was a psu problem ,it could not handle the power draw from the card when overclocked, since it had no problem when i downclocked it to 850 mhz.

I am bying a Seasonic ssr Rm G 650w gold plus for 100 euros, and i suppose there will be no more problems. Ty for helping

Hello, i am posting here because i have  bought a R9 280x VTX3D (powercolor rebrand in europe) to replace my Radeon HD 6790 nearly 1 month ago, and lately it is acting quite weird, but i dont know what is wrong.

I have a Corsair GS600w bronze+ (i know it is the previous generation of the CX600, but 5 years ago i didnt know much about electronics and computer hardware).

The 6790 was pretty far pushed with a custom bios flashed, about 1020mhz on the core and 1200mhz on the mem speed, but there were no issues at all with 2HDD and 1 ssd, paired with my i5 2320@ 3Ghz.

The problem is now, with the 280x, i have pushed it at 1100Mhz on the core and 1625 mhz on the mem speed, and after some weeks it started acting weird (i stress tested for 3 hours without any problems), like pc shutdowns, no image on the screen(while the music in the background playing normally) and i decided to back down a little. Now i am on 1000Mhz on the core and 1500Mhz on the mem speed.(note that the card out of box has 1050mhz on the core and1500mhz on the mem speed), but it still shutdowns/black screen , even when i am just surfing the web. I did some research and found out that my system nearly draws about 590w. Would the cards weird function be a psu's problem, or is the gpu faulty? how i can find out ?

The site has changed....

You should get new PSU or ask someone to give higher wattage unit to test.

The problem is that most of my friends have lower wattage psu's(450-550). Should i try my old 6790 and see if the problem persists?

The site has changed....

Using your old card won't tell anything, because it draws a lot more power (almost 80 watts more). If you can test card with similar power draw that could tell you something, but remember that if it's your PSU fault you can kill GPU.

The problem is that most of my friends have lower wattage psu's(450-550). Should i try my old 6790 and see if the problem persists?

Using your old card won't tell anything, because it draws a lot more power (almost 80 watts more). If you can test card with similar power draw that could tell you something, but remember that if it's your PSU fault you can kill GPU.

i know, i am going to try the gpu on a 650w g seasonic psu i found. for now i use the old card, just to be safe

The site has changed....

Looks like it was a psu problem ,it could not handle the power draw from the card when overclocked, since it had no problem when i downclocked it to 850 mhz.

I am bying a Seasonic ssr Rm G 650w gold plus for 100 euros, and i suppose there will be no more problems. Ty for helping

The site has changed....