Potential New Build - Travelling with a Computer

Hi,

So next summer I am going to be moving and switching jobs. The new job will require me to reloacte every 1.5 - 3 months and I will need my computer with me at all times. I will be selling my current computer right before I move, just so I don't have to bring it with me. 

My current situation is that I'm using a Hackintosh. I do own a Macbook Pro as well, and I do prefer the OS to Windows (although I do have a second OS drive with Windows 8.1 for gaming, which also gets a lot of use). I've found that for the software I use (namely Avid software like Pro Tools and all the necessary drivers for the current audio gear I own) OS X runs better. However a Hackintosh is not without problems... It took me a LONG time to set up and still doesn't run *perfectly*, although it is stable at the moment. 

This has presented me with a few options. I can either:

A) Save up lots and buy a Mac Pro (trashcan style). I would be looking at at least the 8 core version and would like 64GB of RAM, although I would likely buy this third party as it's much cheaper that way. I would also get the dual D700 GPU, so that I can have a top gaming experience in Windows 8.1/10 (boot camp), although this is subject to drivers... I've seen lots of people saying it works and some saying it really doesn't... 

B) Get the same Mac Pro but with the least expensive GPU and build a Windows rig on the side. Likely an ITX, very compact rig with something like a 980ti

C) Build an X99 Hackintosh based on the 5960X. This way I would be able to choose my GPU, but then I would be stuck with the same potential issues I have now, that it could just decide to give up on me if some settings aren't right...

Now, considering I'll be travelling a lot (I have an Impala, '03) I won't be able to go for anything huge, which is why the Mac Pro really shines, because it's so tiny for all the power it packs. Also the stability of running OSX on a computer built for it is priceless. BUT, it's also very expensive and the lack of any additional internal storage is very annoying as i'll have to carry round a few external drives too, or build a NAS which is even more cost... 

Option B is probably the option I would go for if money was no object. I could have the best of both worlds, wouldn't have to worry about compatibility and it wouldn't take up too much space (something like a Corsair 250D or even smaller). 

Building a Hackintosh could be really good. I was thinking of possibly buying a rackmount flight case (so, extra protection in the car) and if I were to use a 4U chassis in an 8U flight case, I could keep my other audio gear in the same flight case and have it permanently linked up. All I would need to do when I get out the car is plug it into power and monitors. 

This is also more cost effective (although it would still be expensive), but it then comes with the worry, time and effort of putting together a Hackintosh... 

I was looking to potentially water cool as well (if I go for option C, which would come out kind of like Linus' personal rig in the near future), but how would this hold up on the road? Is that just a really bad idea? I feel like that's another benefit of the Mac Pro. I would have a flight case for that too (basically a hard box with foam inside, they only cost about $150) but I feel like that would be a lot better on the road.... 

Any thoughts on this are helpful. Basically I want something that will run cool and fast (hence why I don't just use my laptop with a few monitors), work well, game well, be roadworthy and also compact. This is still about 9-10 months off, but I'd like to have a plan as soon as possible, even if I pick parts when I'm out there. 

Thanks! 

Intel i7 8700k, ASRock Z370 Professional Gaming i7 10Gb, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti  FTW3 GAMING iCX, 64GB Kingston Fury, EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 850W, Alienware AW3418DW

Macbook Pro mid 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM

A or C. I think that a hackintosh in a small form factor case would be the way to go. I'd say that you might not have to go as small as ITX. Mabye go with EVGA's Matx X-99 board.

EVGA's Matx X-99 board.

The problem here is that EVGA boards aren't very well tested, and the whole X99 platform on Hackintosh isn't really supported. It's mostly Z97/1150 builds. 

Intel i7 8700k, ASRock Z370 Professional Gaming i7 10Gb, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti  FTW3 GAMING iCX, 64GB Kingston Fury, EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 850W, Alienware AW3418DW

well , asrock/gigabyte boards tend to be able to work with hackintosh

Also this case is very portable. My only concern in this build is the fact that i have read somewhere that the seidon will fit just fine in the lian li case

but i cant find the source this very moment

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5960X 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($989.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($49.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: ASRock X99E-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA2011-3 Narrow Motherboard  ($238.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston Savage 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($343.24 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($195.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB FTW ACX 2.0+ Video Card  ($669.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($93.99 @ NCIX US)
Other: Lian-Li TU300A ($250.00)
Total: $2972.17
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-12 12:56 EDT-0400

The site has changed....

I think my only potential issue with this would be the 32GB RAM limitation. It *may* be all I need, but the option to go to 64GB in the future would be nice. Also, I feel as though if I'm going Hackintosh, I may as well use a full size board so that I can more expandability. After all, that's one of the reasons for potentially not using the Mac Pro (besides price..).

Thanks for the list though! 

I think my only potential issue with this would be the 32GB RAM limitation. It *may* be all I need, but the option to go to 64GB in the future would be nice. Also, I feel as though if I'm going Hackintosh, I may as well use a full size board so that I can more expandability. After all, that's one of the reasons for potentially not using the Mac Pro (besides price..).

Thanks for the list though! 

Np. here is a 32gb alternative. I need to do a research for the seidon and the lian li case, but it will  have to wait, since i have some work to do for now

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-memory-cmk32gx4m2a2400c14

The site has changed....

I'd love if someone could comment with what they think to moving the computer every few months. How should it fare in a car? Is there anything I can do to minimize stress on the machine? 

I'd love if someone could comment with what they think to moving the computer every few months. How should it fare in a car? Is there anything I can do to minimize stress on the machine? 

Just make sure that you place the pc somewhere stable in the car, so the pc cant be damaged.

Also i changed the pc case on the original build i suggested, but i cant find in stores yet, you can google it, it will have more space than the tu200B

The site has changed....

Also i changed the pc case on the original build i suggested, but i cant find in stores yet, you can google it, it will have more space than the tu200B

For this kind of price I think I'd be really interested to see how much Linus' new custom rack case will cost him. Paired with a flightcase that should be about as roadworthy as a computer can get