Cloud Gaming -- Looking Foward to It?

Michael McAllister

I personally welcome it. You can build a cheap rig and literally play high-resolution games without worrying about drivers or much of anything. Your saves will reside in the cloud, and you'll be able to resume from any machine. Let's be honest, a lot of games support the cloud for saves already, so why not welcome streaming? Fiber connections will solve latency issues (Google Fiber, anyone?). Thoughts?

My PC specifications are in my profile.

The idea is great in my opinion, but I like the idea of having MY cloud running the games not someone else's cloud. I know that is one feature of Project Shield (render on your desktop and stream to your portable rig), but I don't like the idea of it being over the internet, not only for latency but for the fact that I don't want my games being only accessible on their servers.

I guarantee the console manufacturers want it to be popular. Imagine if they could get by with selling a console for $200 which is cheaper than now, but actually make money on it then stream everything? They don't like losing money on their hardware. People like me who buy the console and use it for netflix and a blu ray movie player don't make them any money.

I'll welcome it as soon as the internet connection in my area catches up to support video game streaming and video streaming. Right now, it can barely stream Netflix or Youtube in 720p. I'd hesitate to see it try streaming a full game in 1080p, let alone playing it on that kind of connection. However, when the time comes that the infrastructure can easily support this delivery method, I'd be fine with it. I just hope that we would still have the option to download our games for local play, since some ISPs limit the amount of data you can use per month (mine does, at least).

Too soon, internet is not up for it yet.

Good Morning...

Every game should at least have cloud saves though. Saves in the cloud make gaming easier (more accessible), especially on PC.

Most places in the world, the internet infrastructure isn't to the point where it is capable of this.

Not only do we need the bandwidth, but we also need low ping latency.

Of course once it is, I will gladly welcome it.

Some fun math on uncompressed video quality. I would refuse to use a service that encoded the picture I'm seeing to something less than I could get on my own with my own gaming pc.

24bit at 1080p at 60fps :24*1920*1080*60=2.78 Gbps.

Of course my display is 120, and thus I'd hope to get full use of 120fps making it 5.56Gbps. That's only 2.5 TERABYTES per hour :)

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

Not very exiting to me. I'd be long dead before my country even provide the bandwidth.

Most places in the world, the internet infrastructure isn't to the point where it is capable of this.

Not only do we need the bandwidth, but we also need low ping latency.

Of course once it is, I will gladly welcome it.

Some fun math on uncompressed video quality. I would refuse to use a service that encoded the picture I'm seeing to something less than I could get on my own with my own gaming pc.

24bit at 1080p at 60fps :24*1920*1080*60=2.78 Gbps.

Of course my display is 120, and thus I'd hope to get full use of 120fps making it 5.56Gbps. That's only 2.5 TERABYTES per hour :)

Alright. Universal cloud saves then or a "Browse" feature in games to point the game to the save/profile data. :)

Not interested, bad enough you buy the rights to play a game and they tell you how many times you can install it, or require you to be online full time to play it. People complain about local frame rendering latency, I can't imagine any improvement if your going over a network.

Also will eliminate for local rendering, basically eliminate the need for a gaming PC, which is the hobby I've enjoyed for at least 20 years.